Chapter 13: Regular Teen Girl

("I was happier before, when I led a normal life."

-Enrique Iglesias)

"Does anyone else think it's weird to be at school right now?" Eden asked. Eden, Raef, and Ember were all gathered around a small circular table, enjoying their lunch.

A chorus of yes' echoed around the table.

"Meet at my place after school? Terra's staying there, and I'll text Ash." She said. Raef tensed at Ash's name, but not as much as he usually did.

"Sure." Raef said.

"Sounds good." Eden replied.

"You also might want to come as foxes, who knows if they're watching us." Ember said grimly.

"You got a point." Raef said.

She nodded, "I'll leave the gate into my backyard propped open."

"K Thanks." Raef said grimly. The upcoming battle with the government has begun to take its toll. Everyone knew the danger they were in. Everyone was afraid. Everyone knew that some of them may not come out. The bull rung, signaling the end of lunch.

"I have digital art." Ember said, standing up.

"English." Eden said.

"History." Raef said.

They said goodbye to each other and went their separate ways.

"Welcome my young wolfling." Ms. Mubdia said dramatically. Ember raised an eyebrow at her curiously. If it was any other teacher, she would've gotten suspicious, but Ms. Mubdia was always dramatic and eccentric in the best way possible. Actually the digital art teacher's personality made her Ember's favorite.

"Hey." She replied, a slight smile pulling at the corner of her lips. Despite the coming fight, her digital art teacher always had a way of making her smile.

"Please take a seat." Ms. Mubdia said, dramatically gesturing to an open chair, "Today we will begin a project of some sorts. We will be making a portfolio for the art show in April. It will be a collection of pieces under specific categories. Our first category is emotion. Bring out your rawest of energies into your art." She explained, waving her arms dramatically.

Ember chuckled before turning to her digital canvas. She picked up her stylus and begun sketching whatever came to her mind. Her hand flowed across the screen effortlessly, diagonal intersecting lines and lopsided geometric shapes littered her screen. She lost herself in the art and before she knew it, the bell had rung.

"Hey mom, can you leave the gate open for Eden and Raef?" Ember yelled as she entered her house.

"Sure." Steph replied.

Ember bolted upstairs and into her room, "Hey ya'll."

"Why are you so happy?" Ash snapped.

"Is it against the law to be happy?" She replied.

"No, but you'd think you'd be the slightest bit afraid that we're all going to die." He said.

"Have a little faith in yourself." Ember replied.

"Well not everyone can control fire and just burn everyone who comes close to them." He snapped and stormed out of the room.

Ember sighed, "Why does everyone think I'm immortal or something. I'm scared too, but I just don't want fear to govern my life."

Terra pulled her into a hug, "He doesn't know what it's like to have to control elements."

Ember sighed again, "Thanks."