Four Teenagers vs the World

(Let us go forth with fear, courage, and rage to save the world.) -Grace Paley

Green eyes stared back at her. She found herself getting lost in the forest held in them. In a split second, she felt arms wrap around her.

His body vibrated as if he was laughing, or crying, "I was so scared."

"Raef?" She asked, confused by his sudden kindness.

"You weren't breathing." He said, pulling her closer to him, "I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry."

"Raef . . ." She said, her voice soft, "I'm fine now, it's ok."

"I'm sorry I freaked out on you back in the nurse's office and I'm sorry I shoved you away when the tree caught fire and I'm sorry-"

"RAEF!" She yelled again, "It's ok."

"But-"

"You were just scared. People will do some crazy things out of fear. For example, I burned my house down because I was angry and afraid." She said, leaning further into his embrace.

"Well this is unexpected." Fulki said.

"What is?" Ember asked, feeling Raef tense up next to her.

"Later." Fulki replied before going back to sleep.

"What's Fulki going on about?" Raef asked.

"You can hear her?"

"Yep."

"And you can hear me. I'm Reyner." She jumped when she heard a male voice in her head.

"Who?"

"Relax, Em, it's just Reyner. My fox." Raef said, pulling her back to him, "I never want to let you go again." She heard Raef whisper.

She felt a hot blush creep up her neck, but leaned into him, placing her head on his shoulder, "Me neither."

For a long time, they just stayed there, happy in each other's arms. The moment was over all too soon, her phone started vibrating, "Great." Ember muttered under her breath.

"What?" Raef asked.

She let a growl escape her lips before picking up her phone and answering it, "Hey Ash, sorry I'm late. I got held up. Hey, mind if I bring someone else. Thanks. Bye." She said, not giving Ash the time to say a word before hanging up, "Come on, we have a meeting to get to." She said, standing up and holding out a hand for Raef. He took it.

"Where are we going?" He asked.

"To meet Ash."

This time is was his turn to growl, "No."

Ember face palmed, "Will you please put your personal vendetta aside for one minute. This is important."

"Why?" He growled again.

"Because the government is placing micro bombs inside shifter mages and I need both of you to stop them." She said, Raef looked as if he'd seen a ghost, "What?"

"You're a shifter mage." He said, horrified.

"No derp sherlock." She rolled her eyes, "But no, I haven't been bombed. Melody and Joash are the only ones I know of, but there are more." She said, showing him the letter the nurse had found in her hand.

"And you really think three teenagers can save them?" He asked.

"No." She said, "I think four teenagers can. Come on." She said, pulling him by the hand, "Eden's meeting us."