Dinner date

"Hmm." She took a sip from her sour drink and nodded slowly at Malik. "That's interesting." In other words, she meant 'that's pitiful'.

At this point, I couldn't help but wonder why Malik actually agreed to come to dinner with us. He may had wanted some food, but in my opinion having to face Mami wasn't worth eating Jollof rice.

"You know one of the reasons I invited you over is because you will be going to the prom with my daughter and I want to know about you. At least a little." Mami smiled and I rolled my eyes. Hard. What she meant was she wanted to investigate Malik, and if possible threaten him into hiding—far away from me.

"Yes ma'am." Malik resumed with his overly polite character and I hid a smirk, forcing myself to try to take him seriously. "I really appreciate you letting us go to prom together. It is a great honour. I promise to be a gentleman to Temi in every way I can. She's very important to me." I felt my cheeks warm at his last statement, mostly because his eyes were locked on mine as he said it.

"Are you both dating?" Mami suddenly asked like someone had pressed her buttons. In reply Tunde coughed, while Titi fidgeted with the spoons on the table making loud, agitating sounds as they clinked against the dish.

"No we're not." I stood up so quickly that my chair almost fell back. 

"I wasn't asking you." Mami replied without sparing a glance in my direction.

Why wasn't Malik answering?

"What are you doing?" I mouthed to Malik and opened my eyes so wide that my eyeballs were in danger of falling out.

"No ma'am we're not." He said in such a mellow tone. I almost didn't hear him.

"Well I hope you both are not lying to me." Mami arched an eyebrow at me and I tried hard to avoid her gaze as I sank into my chair.

"Yes ma'am." Malik asserted with a pained expression on his face. I knew he felt bad about lying. Or maybe he only felt bad about having to keep us a secret.

I don't know what went off inside of me, but as I turned to Mami I felt my emotions roiling inside of me. I realised soon enough that what I was feeling was rage. Every fragment of my being was boiling in anger.

Why did I have to be treated like a child? Why did I have to be treated like I couldn't think for myself? Why did Mami have to make me feel bad for almost everything I did? Why did Malik have to suffer for his girlfriend who wasn't even worth any of his troubles? Why, just why?

I was about to say something I would regret later on when Mami's phone rang. I reclined back in my seat with the thought that God knew my plans and had decided to save me from my stupidity.

It just infuriated me that Mami acted so righteous when she had two of her children out of wedlock. That really said a lot about her.

"...what?...Oh right now?...But...Oh alright then...I'll be there as soon as I can...twenty minutes maybe." I caught most of Mami's conversation before she ended the call. "I'm really sorry about this everyone. I just received a call from my work and I am needed today for an extra shift." She sighed tiredly.

"Oh..." I pushed a giggle back, down my throat.

"I'm truly sorry." Mami said, but she didn't sound too sorry. "I'll leave now. Malik please leave as soon as you are done with your food."

"No problem ma'am. Thank you so much for inviting me today. I really enjoyed the meal." He looked absolutely sexy even with a grave expression on his face. His lips were in a pout and I wished I could kiss them. Somehow, I craved him. I wanted to know every part of him, both those I was supposed to and most certainly not supposed to(like the tool between his legs).