Hold My Hand- Adore Delano

A/n: I call this one,,,,,, I use way to many commas cause i'm,,,,,,, fucking ,,,,,, gay

Mouth slightly parted in shock, I stared at the door just slammed. Danny walked in, makeup residue evident but wig shoved messily in their purse. Without a single glance in my direction, they walked straight past, into the bedroom. Deciding to give Danny a few minutes alone, I grabbed my phone and ordered take-out to be delivered. Standing up, I walked to the closet to scavenge for as many blankets as possible to make the borderline gross old couch as comforting as possible.

The wooden floor creaked underneath my feet as I walked to the door, standing still for a minute. For a few seconds, all I heard was my own breath, breathing the heavy air weighing down on my chest. Until the heart wrenching sobs broke through the silence. Not crying. Loud, angry sobbing.

I slowly opened the door, brushing my knuckles against the wood to alert Danny of my presence. They were sitting on the bed, the door to the balcony left wide open. Their carton of cigarettes stood out against the white comforter, messily thrown around on the bed. Many were missing from the pack, some littered on the bed. No more than 7 weren't accounted for.

They'd been trying to quit smoking. For a while now, and I though they were doing better. With everything. Danny seemed happier and more alive. They stopped coming home drunk cause they wanted to not feel shitty and getting high to feel calmer. I, of course, didn't expect everything to change all of the sudden. Most of the time, that's not how things like this work. You have bad days and you just try to use better coping strategies but sometimes that is really hard.

Here we are, Danny holding their knees up to their chest. Sobbing loudly, tugging at their beautiful brown hair. I walked over to them, gently grabbing their wrist away from their hair. Danny rested their head onto my chest as I rocked back and forth, rubbing their back.

The scene brought me back to old nights, spent almost identical. The roles and the reasons switch but once the curtain closes we always are there for each other.

Once the sobs stopped, Danny just shook in my arms. The warm air was escaping to join the chilling California 2am air. "Let's go to the living room."

They sniffled but nodded and moped to the couch. Danny wrapped the blankets around them, hugging the extra fabric close. I kissed their forehead before going to grab them a glass of water. Once I got back, the doorbell rang.

"What's that?"

"Food. I was thinking you might want pizza?" Danny smiled lightly and perked up. They must have really been hungry and exhausted after crying for so long.

We sat down in comfortable silence as we ate. I left the remote by Danny. Normally they would at least put music for background noise until Britney came on and they completely ignored me for a song or give me a lap dance to Oops I Did It Again. Once we ate a good portion of the pizza and, with nagging, Danny drank all of their water, I started the dreaded conversation.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" No matter how many times I've said it to Danny and vise versa, it never seems less awkward.

They shook their head, resting it on my shoulder. Their fake nails picking at the loose string on the bottom of their shirt, they said, "Can you please just hold my hand?"

Without a second of hesitation, I held their soft hand. They could tell me another day, or never. As long as they were happy or at least okay. Danny started to doze off, finally feeling safe all night mumbling an 'I love you' before they got some very well need rest.