XL: Rally

XL barged through the Yellow breezeways, dutifully ignoring the harried announcement booming through the space. Where had she last seen the other Amethysts?

        Blue Diamond had sent them to assist White Diamond's Quartzes, and Yellow Diamond had ordered them back to . . . to where? She strained her ears, but the announcement had ended. She made a mental vow to diligence in the future.

        She sped past a window, snatching a quick glance through it. She almost tripped over her own feet as she stopped herself and ran back. In the Courtyard below, she could see the other Amethysts, all filing with masses of assorted Gems into what looked like the White Court. She pressed her face to the glass. What in the Stars was going on?

        A chime sounded behind her and she spun around. Down the hall there was a Pearl standing in the open doorway. A white Pearl with a navel gem and a cracked—

        Eye.

        White Diamond's Pearl! And she was with some smaller figure. The Pearl turned mechanically, blank eyes settling on her instantly.

        She looked around wildly, searching for a quick way down. There were no stairs nearby, no branching breezeways, no teleportation panels . . . there!

        An Aquamarine soaring past the window. There was nothing for it; XL summoned her club and swung at the glass with all her strength. To her surprise, it shattered easily, and she vaulted herself through, latching onto the flying Gem's leg. The Aquamarine squeaked in surprise and fear and dropped, sending the two of them flailing through the air. Barely ten feet above the ground the Gem somehow righted herself, and, straining visibly, halted their fall, wings flapping wildly. XL let go and dropped down, landing with a thud! on the polished ground. She could hear indignant chatter behind her as she tore through the crowds.

        She smacked into more than a few Gems, face-planting into backs, shoving figures aside, even copping an elbow in the rib. Finally, she caught a flash of wayward white hair through the crowd.

        "XJ!" she cried, barrelling forward. XJ turned, looking confused, and then her face lit up she nudged the Amethyst beside her — XG.

        "Hey, whassup?" XJ's strong, gravelly voice easily carried over the ruckus.

        "I need you!" XL panted, finally coming to rest beside her caste sister. "I need everyone — all the Amethysts, the Jaspers, and Carnelian! Bring her too!"

        "Wha? . . . didn't Holly Blue suspend you or something?"

        "It doesn't matter. Remember 8XM?"

        The other Amethyst's eyes were blank.

        "The small one!"

        Her eyes lit up. "Oh! From Earth? Little squirt," she said fondly.

        "She needs our help, and so does Pink Diamond and her team. We needa get them outta here."

        XJ looked understandably confused. "Pink Diamond? But she's—"

        "She's here! She's alive," XL cut in hurriedly. "And White Diamond's got her."

        XJ stared at her. After a moment, she broke into a grin. "Aw, sis, you got me!"

        XL was by now frustrated. "Aren't you listening to me? Our Diamond's up there!"

        It was at that moment another announcement sounded over the intercom. "Now that you have all gathered, I would like to add to your cause and let you know that Pink Diamond is at White Diamond's mercy. Pink Diamond is alive, but bleached. You are not just doing this for me — do it for her. If you want the youngest Diamond back, you must wreak havoc."

        XJ gaped.

        "WHAT DID I TELL YOU?" XL yelled, and turned to the mass of Earth Gems. "YOU HEARD HER! IF WE WANT OUR DIAMOND BACK, WE GOTTA FIGHT!"

        The mass surged towards the White doors with a roar.