Yellow Diamond: Ache

Blue was in a bad state. She had only barely — drunkenly — stumbled along as she guided her back to her quarters, trembling and tripping, until Yellow had sat her down.

        "Blue. Blue Diamond — Blue . . . listen to me," she had said, her hands on the other's shoulders.

        "Yellow. . ." she murmured, struggling weakly in her grip.

        The latter felt something twist in her chest. It hurt seeing her like this.

        "Blue. I'll figure this out, alright?" She thought for a moment. What could she say to put her at ease? ". . . You don't have to do anything more."

        "Anything more. Nothing?" came the tremulous reply, barely audible through slack lips.

        "Nothing," she reassured her. "Just sit."

        "Just sit," the other sighed, and she relaxed a little in Yellow's grip. "I can do that. . ."

        As much as it hurt to pull away, Yellow straightened and strode to another seat a few paces away, sinking to its cold surface and resting her head in her hands.

        This problem was bigger than just Steven and Blue. Of course, she cared about them, and she wanted to help . . . but seeing their Diamond bleached, the remainder of the Pink Court that White had inevitably regimented would prompt an uprising. Even with their combined status, there was no way she and Blue could instruct or even water down such an event . . . and she knew that White had only three ways with dealing with civil conflicts. She would demand their help in corruption, break the planet further or initiate a mass-shattering. Regardless of the chosen course of action, it would cost hundreds of thousands of Gems and resources.

        Given the last five thousand years and the toll it had taken on her and Blue, she didn't give the idea much support at all. The last thing they needed was another draining conflict.

        So how could she work things out? White Diamond was always watching, listening, sensing. There was no way anyone could slip past her defences — she was always awake and alert, save for her destructive frenzies.

        They needed a distraction. A big one.

        . . . Maybe they could use rebellion to their advantage.

        Yellow Diamond lifted her head. Stealing a glance at Blue, she stood and strode from the room. She had a lot to do.