Chapter 8

Pavel's POV

There are bits of starships and many other types of debris. We turn and dodge to avoid it. Then, we see the biggest ship I've ever seen. The ship shoots at us, and I feel the Enterprise shakes. Seconds later, Lieutenant Uhura turns around quickly to Pike.

"Captain," Uhura states. "We're being hailed."

On the screen appears a Romulan.

"Hello," is all he says.

"I'm Captain Christopher Pike. To whom am I speaking?"

"Hi Christopher. I'm Nero."

"You've just declared war against the Federation. Withdraw, I'll agree to arrange a conference with Romulan leadership at a neutral location."

"I do not speak for the empire. We stand apart... As does your Vulcan crew member. Isn't that right, Spock?"

Everyone's' heads turn towards Commander Spock. He looks as confused as the rest of us.

"Pardon me," Spock says. "I do not believe that you and I are acquainted."

"No," Nero states. "We're not. Not yet. Spock, there's something I would like you to see," he then turns his attention back to Captain Pike. "Captain Pike, your transporter has been disabled. As you can see by the rest of your armada, you have no choice. You will man a shuttle and come aboard the Narada for negotiations. That is all."

I look back at Pike. This man will kill him, but he also won't hesitate to kill us. This is not good...

"He'll kill you," Kirk says. "You know that."

"Your survival is unlikely," Spock agrees

"Captain we gain nothing by diplomacy. Going over to the ship is a mistake."

"I, too, agree. You should rethink your strategy."

"I understand that," Pike states. "I need officers who've been trained in advanced hand-to-hand combat."

"I've had training, sir," Mr. Sulu speaks up.

"Come with me. Kirk, you, too. You're not supposed to be here anyway. Chekov, you have the conn."

"Aye-aye, Captain," I reply.

With that, they walk to the turbo lift. As I watch the door close, I get this horrible feeling. I have no idea that it will only get worse...

Hannah's POV

I'm running down the hallway to find out who's hurt and who's not. I watch Captain Pike walk by me with Kirk, Spock and Sulu. He stops and turns back to me.

"McCoy," he addresses me.

"Yes, sir," I say.

"I've been told you've had combat training."

"Sort of. I can fight and take care of myself just fine. I don't know if the training I've had is exactly regulation, and it certainly isn't advanced."

"That's good enough. Come with me."

I don't question. I just follow him.

"Allow me to catch you up," Captain Pike says. "A Romulan ship has just attacked us. Without transporters, we can't beam you off the ship, which means we can't assist Vulcan, we can't do our job. Mr. Kirk, Mr. Sulu, Engineer Olson and Miss McCoy will space-jump from the shuttle. You will land on that machine they've lowered into the atmosphere that's scrambling our gear. You'll get inside, you'll disable it you'll beam back to the ship."

"Hold up!" I can exclaim before we continue. "We're doing what?! My dad will freak-"

"Miss McCoy," Pike says. "I need someone with decent combat skills."

"This'll be fun Mini-Bones," Jim tells me putting his arm around my shoulders.

"Mr. Spock, I'm leaving you in command of the Enterprise. Once we have transport capability and communications back up, you'll contact Starfleet and report what the heck's going on here. And if all else fails, fall back and rendezvous with the fleet in the Laurentian system. Kirk, I'm promoting you to first officer."

"What?" Jim exclaims.

"Captain?" Spock interjects. "Please, I apologize, the complexities of human pranks escape me."

"It's not a prank, Spock. And I'm not the Captain, you are. Let's go," he then turns to Jim. "And Kirk, take of her."

We follow Pike and put on suits before we get on the shuttle. I'm nervous, but I'm also more excited than I've ever been... well, actually that's a lie. I've felt more adrenaline one time in my life... with my Pavel. We get ready to drop with my heart about to beat out of my chest...