Chapter 5

Hannah's POV

  Saturday has finally come. Hallelujah. I've needed a break. Plus, I know today is going to be awesome. I'm spending the day with Pavel. We don't exactly have a plan laid out, but we don't care. It's just him and me. We've wandered around campus, around the mall, gone to a park outside of campus and now are eating lunch. We're at a restaurant that someone recommended to me a few days ago. It's kind of fast food, but like, fancy fast food. I guess that's how you could put it.

  The waitress comes around to get our order. She looks at both of us several times. It kind of awkward. I'm not entirely sure what's happening. She's a kind eyed woman probably about my dad's age. She walks away after getting our order, and I turn to Pavel.

  "What was that about?" I ask.

  "What do you mean?" he questions.

  "Well," I start. "She was looking at us like... well, I don't know. It was just kinda weird."

  "I don't zhink she meant anything," he assures me. "It's ok."

  I sigh.

"I'm sure you're right," I agree.

  We continue our conversation until she comes back. She stares at us weirdly again. When she begins to walk away, I find out why.

  "You are an adorable couple," she says as she walks away.

  "Oh we're-" I start, but she's gone before I can continue.

  I look back at Pavel. We're both blushing. He's bright red, and I know I look like a strawberry. I bite my lips. I can feel my heart beating in my chest like it might explode. We both look away from each other and start to eat. I can tell neither one of us knows quite what to say since we don't say much until we leave.

  We leave and walk through campus. We chat about, well, really just anything. We tease each other, tell stories and laugh until we almost cry. I'm not paying attention to where I'm going and almost run into a post. Luckily, Pavel pulls me out of the way right before I walk into it. As my head turns, I notice two people in Starfleet uniforms. One of the uniforms is from medbay.

  Oh no...

  Before I can even tell Pavel what's going on, I rush us out of sight.

  "What is going on?" he asks.

  "Ummm..." I respond. "Nothing. It's good. It's just... uh..."

  "Hannah..." Pavel says.

  "Ok, fine," I give in. "It's my dad."

  "What about your dad?" he asks me.

  "Umm," I try to think of the way I want to explain this. "I'm assuming you've never met a southern daddy with a daughter."

  "No, I have not."

  "Well, they are to be feared. Especially by any guy they see their daughter with."

  "Ok..."

  "We're just gonna avoid him at all costs."

  "Ok... I trust you."

  "Great. Ok, lets go."

  So I look around from where we're hiding. I still see dad, but I think I can get around him. We slowly move in amongst a crowd of people and slip around him. I think we're free when he turns around and stares right at me. I signal to Pavel to go on.

  "Why?" he questions.

  "Just trust me," I say. "I'll meet up with you in a few minutes. Just wait for me around the corner on the next block."

  He doesn't question. He just nods and walks off. I turn and walk over to dad and Jim.

  "Mini-Bones!" Jim greets me. He gave me that nickname years ago. I still roll my eyes when he calls me that.

  "What're you doing?" he asks me.

  "Ah, nothing," I say trying to sound nonchalant. "Just walking around. I didn't want to be inside all day, so..."

  "Uh huh..." he says sounding a little unconvinced. "Who were you talking to?"

  "Oh, that was just a guy that was lost. He needed to know how to get to a building, and I told him how to get there."

  "Mmm hmm. Ok then... Well, I'm off to medbay to deal with a small problem. Jim, I guess I'll see you later. Hannah, I'll see you at home."

  With that, he walks away. Jim looks at me and raises his eyebrows. He smirks at me.

  "Guy you were giving directions to..." he starts. "Likely story. My guess is that's the fella that I think you like."

  "Umm no," I say nervously. "No. No. He just needed directions. That's all."

  "Uh huh," Jim doesn't sound convinced. "I can tell when you're lying. So, what's his name? I promise I won't tell Bones."

  "Promise?"

  "Cross my heart."

  "Well, um, his name is Pavel Chekov. He's in most of my classes. I met him on the first day of classes because he was lost. Since then we've stuck together. He's nice and sweet. You can't tell dad about this. You can't!"

  "I won't. But be honest, you totally like him."

  "No comment."

  "Ha! I was right! Mini-Bones has a crush."

  "Shut up, Jim Kirk. Shut up."

  "Ok. Well go on. Go get your man!"

  I roll my eyes at him.

  "Ugh! He's not 'my man!'"

  "Sure he's not. Go on," he says as he waves me on.

  "Go away," I reply as I run off towards Pavel. I hear Jim laughing as I run. I finally turn the corner and am face to face with Pavel.

  "Are you ok?" he asks.

  "Oh," I reply. "I'm fine."

  "Good," he says smiling. With that, we walk off and continue moving around campus. We spend the rest of the day just talking. I honestly say it is one of the best days I've ever had.