Chapter 2

Hannah's POV

2 years later...

  We've been at Starfleet for two years. This year, I finally reached the minimum age to apply for Starfleet academy and am now enrolled. Today is the first day of classes. I took a test before receiving my schedule. They wanted to determine what classes I would be required to take and what classes I may not need. They were shocked at how much I knew, therefore, I don't have to take as many prerequisites. They said within a year it's possible that I could be working on a starship.

  As I'm walking to class, a boy, who appears to be about my age, catches my eye. I'm pretty sure he's lost. I walk over to him.

  "Hey," I say startling him. He turns to look at me and nearly drops all of the books in his hands. His eyes go wide. He looks like a deer in headlights. "Are you alright? You look a little lost."

  "Umm, maybe," he says in a Russian accent. "I zhought I knew where I was going, but I zhink I may be wrong."

  "Where are you going?" I ask him.

  He tells me his class. I laugh a little. It's exactly where I'm headed. Our entire schedule almost matches up. Apparently, like me, this guy already knows most of what he's doing. The only difference is I have a medical class later.

  "Well," I say. "Since we're going to the same place, I guess I could just take you there."

  "Really?" He looks so excited.

  "Sure," I respond. "Oh, I'm Hannah McCoy, by the way."

  "Pavel Chekov," he introduces himself. "It is wery nice to meet you, Hannah."

  "It's nice to meet you too, Pavel," I say. I can't help but noticing we're both smiling widely. We look like little kids.

  We chat the whole way to class. I can't help but stare at him as we walk. He has cute, brown, curly hair, sweet blue eyes and the most adorable smile.

  Man, he's cute...

Chekov's POV

  I look at the girl I have just met. She is beautiful. She has long, dark brown hair and gorgeous hazel eyes. If eyes are the windows to the soul... these are the most amazing I've seen.

  We stay together for nearly the rest of the day. We stick together in class and especially when we are released for lunch. Several other boys try to talk her into having lunch with them, and who can blame them, she's a knockout. For some reason though, she is insistent on staying with me. We sit down and start up our conversation again.

  "So," I ask. "Where are you from?"

  "Georgia," She tells me. "My dad and I moved here about 2 years ago. I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say that you aren't from around here."

  "No," I laugh in response. "I am from Russia."

  "I figured," she says. "Your accent kinda gave you away. I'm sure mine did about the same."

  "Maybe just a little," I say smiling at her.

  She smiles back at me. Her smile is like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy, gloomy day. It is spectacular. But, like most pretty girls, she doesn't seem to notice.

  "What exactly do you plan to do in Starfleet?" I ask her.

  "Probably be a medical officer like my dad. I want to be on a starship so badly," she tells me.

  "Could I ask why?" I inquire.

  "When I was young, I remember looking up at the stars in the Georgia sky. They were so beautiful," she begins. "I've wanted to fly among those stars for years. I want to go on an adventure. I want to see things beyond this planet. Space has called my name for years when I looked up at the stars."

  "Your eyes," I say without even thinking.

  "Yeah," she responds. "What about them?"

  "Oh," I jump. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean... Zhat..."

  "No. No," she says in a gentle tone. "Please. It's ok. Just say whatever you were gonna say."

  Oops... um too late to turn back now...

  "Zhey would put any of zhose stars to shame," I tell her almost intoxicated with desire. "Zhey are lovely."

  She doesn't respond. Her smile becomes wider. I watch her cheeks turn a strawberry red. She looks down and bites her lip.

  "I only tell you zhe truth," I tell her.

  "Wow," She says. "Thank you."

  "It is my pleasure," I say. "Can I ask you a question?"

  "Oh course," she responds.

  "Why did you turn zhose guys down for lunch?"

  "Because I'm eating lunch with you?"

  "But why turn down zhose good-looking guys?"

  Why did I just ask that? That sounds so weird...

  "Because they probably just want to eat lunch with me for the very thing you pointed out. You're nice. You actually just want to be a kind friend. That's why. I'd take that over those guys anyway. Besides, who says you're not good-lookin' yourself?"

  I open my mouth the speak, but nothing comes out. So, I sit there looking like an idiot. I feel myself blushing.

  Well... this is going well... already embarrassing myself.

  "You alright?" She asks.

  "Um... yeah," I say. "Perfectly fine..."

  We enjoy the rest of our lunch. Our conversation consists mostly of our stories, what we're doing this weekend and what ships we'd like to be on. We both want to be on the new starship that's being built: the Enterprise.

  She has her medical training class after lunch, so Hannah and I part ways. I walk to my last class after lunch. I'm kind of sad to see her walk away. I really like her... not just in that way, but as a friend in general. She's very kind. Sure, I have a few friends here, but she is quite different.

————————————
Credit:

Song: Time McGraw by Taylor Swift

Video: davcooklover