A Knight

??? POV

As the knights of a duke, we didn't really take the initiative to interact with that duke. The duke stays in the carriage, we guard the him from outside. We don't take orders from anyone other than him, for as long as we are under him. I've no interest in him. I am a knight. Very simple. As long as he doesn't make any unreasonable requests of me I wont concern myself in his personal affairs.

However, my friend, another knight of this duke, would be the opposite. He's fairly nosy, and he's the brightest ball of sunshine you'll ever find. He's not just extremely energetic, he's just too out of this world. My friend... he pisses off the duke with his extreme attentiveness that even the duke's personal attendant doesn't give. The duke still hasn't kicked him out after all that.

Heck, I think the duke's turned bent for him. I almost did, honestly, with that delicate face why did he even become a knight? Almost half the people I know have blond hair, how come its only his that shines?! Ah, I can't compete with his good looks. If I ever go hunting for a girl they'll immediately look at him instead.

Yet, why did I become a knight? It's all because of his reckless behaviour, he has a knack for getting into trouble.

How would he end up, if I'm not here to protect him?

"Fire! The village is on fire! Please, help!" A scrawny boy ran up to us panting. His hair was singed and the direction he came from was indeed on fire. We halted our march. The knights, me included, looked at each other and awaited orders. A cold voice rang from the mahogany carriage.

"Whoever wants to... go now."

The order sent shudders among us. It implied whoever went, would be fired and gone for good. There was a moment of silence. The little boy stood there dumbstruck.

"A-aren't you knights? You're supposed to help... Why wont you help us?!" His widened eyes started tearing up.

"I'm going," It just had to be my mentally disturbed best friend.

"I thought you all were better than this, " he continued coldly. "Especially you, Duke Mason Williams."

His ruby eyes were not shining like the gem, they were cold and dark almost like blood. That was a sight I had hoped to never see again. On the inside, I knew why he was so angered. So when he threw away his badge, I did the same without a word. We had no one except each other and, in other terms, nothing to lose. With our own two feet we followed the boy to the village and didn't turn back.

We still had our armour a sword and a little space pouch. With our skills it was almost a breeze to jump in and out of the houses. The problem was saving the people before they had burned. Luckily the villagers had a system of putting out the fires, some of the lit houses were already put out. The little boy led my friend to one side of the origin of the fire and led me to the other side. It wasn't that small a village, unfortunately, the houses were packed together the fire had spread lighning fast. It was already too late to save some people. We decided to move in an inward spiral. The villagers had directed their attention to putting out the original fire, so the outer buildings were left a bit unattended to.

I took off and leaped from the ground and torwards the screams of the people on the second floor. They wouldn't be able to jump out without breaking a few bones but I could jump out twice that height without a scratch. Ah all that training finally paid off. I mean... how many people would actually dare to attack the duke? My training wasn't put to good use there, especially since that duke was quite the little bastard.

The old couple I had reached was arguing about who I should save first, so without any more patience I slung both of them over my shoulders like a sack of potatoes. Their love was cute and all but that wasn't the time to be all sweet. I immediately dashed off after making some distance beteen the house and the couple then dropping them.

Parents and child. Princess carry, drop, next house!

Man, his wife, and his mother. Potato sacks and princess carry, drop, next house!

There was a man whose wife had already burnt to death, he wasn't even trying to escape just standing there crying. It seems he needed time to process this, I dropped him off where there was a lot of people. Hopefully he wont do anything crazy.

When I had come across that house I realized how serious the fire was. It's likely most of the people at the center were suffering injuries or... really really worse.

.. / .-. --- ...- . / -.-- ---..-

831 words (would you like more?)