Chapter 32

— Author's Note —
Alright, so I had a really hard time writing this. I just feel really connected to the story and to Maggie. I hope you enjoy ❤️

————————————————————————

2016 - New Years Eve

I found myself taking more shots than anyone before the ball dropped, indulging in all of the extra limes Sam had cut up. "Maybe slow down, Mags." Ronnie said, looking at me as I held the bottle of tequila in my hand, not caring about a class anymore. I was getting hammered and it was happening fast.

"Alright.." I slurred, something I normally never did while drunk. "I don't have no one.. anybody haha to kiss at midnight. So here's how this is gonna work. All of you need to kiss each other and me. It'll be like.. like... like a wittle love fest." I said gesturing to my pinky while I tried to say little. They all laughed at me.

"It's starting!" Someone yelled.

"Alright, get ready for some lovin'!" I yelled, people turned to look at me as I was almost standing on the countertop. "Someone turn up the fucking music!" The Talking Heads song Once In a Lifetime had come on and I was into it.

"10!
9!
8!
7!
6!
5!
4!
3!
2!
1!!!!!!" Everyone roared and I watched at people started kissing their significant others. I turned seeing Sam and Carm then Danny and Kenz, then... Jake and Hannah. I thought I might be sick, but I held my alcohol in me, I wasn't throw up drunk yet. Ronnie and Josh came around me hugging me tightly. Ronnie kissed my cheeks maybe a million times and I giggled. I turned to Josh who was still holding onto me as Ronnie went to hug everyone else. He moved closer to me and placed his lips on mine. I knew it was wrong, like I always do with Josh. I was falling into a pattern, I knew I was. When he pulled away, I pulled him back into a hug.

"Thank you for being such a good friend.." I whispered sweetly to him.

"Anytime." He said back to me, it seemed like he knew this wasn't going to happen and that the kiss was a goodbye and a hello of sorts. When I turned around, they were looking at us.

"What? I told you, I need loving. Now each and every one of you get over here." I went to peck everyone on the lips. Everyone was watching as I pecked Jake and his lips fit into mine perfectly, but it was quick and like everyone elses. "Now that's the way to start the New Year!" I shouted. "Let's get drunk."

I tried to avoid Jake and Hannah for the rest of the night and it sort of worked. I walked back into the kitchen, but stopped when I heard Sammy and Jake talking. Patterns, patterns...

"You shouldn't have come here." Sam said.

"I- I didn't know she was gonna be here."

"I told you, not to come. Why would I do that if she wasn't here?" Jake didn't speak. I held my beer tightly and walked in.

"What's up tuckers! Tuckers. Tfuckers. Duckers. FUCKERS." I had a difficult time getting my words out. They looked at me, thinking I had heard what they were talking about. I played it cool. "I'm going upstairs to pee." I said frankly.

I hoisted myself up the stairs, using all of my strength. I closed the bathroom, locking the door behind me. I still looked fine, but in my eyes you could tell I was drunk. I felt a sharp pain in my stomach, the type that would have normally made me cry, but I was numb. I went over to the toilet and peed quickly. I was getting my fucking period, great, great. I could always tell because I would become irritable and then try to play it off with sweetness. I pulled up my pants fixing myself and walking back down the stairs. It was about two in the morning and some people had left, but most were still here. I grabbed another beer and went to dance, meeting Thomas on the dance floor. I moved my body to the music and felt him come up behind me, the music changed, but he stayed there swaying with me. "Hey, I think you better go home." I heard Mackenzi's voice say. Thomas's body moved from mine, giving me a kiss on the cheek. I kept my eyes closed, swaying to the Cure. I felt a girlier body move to the front of my body and sway with me. It was Ronnie I could tell. She put her head on shoulder and I did the same. Friday I'm In Love was playing and thoughts rushed through my head making me feel uneasy.