Siren's Lament

(A Siren Song sequel. ♡)

Things were blissful. How could they not be? Freddy had precisely what he wanted, and no one was going to interfere. Not so long as they assumed he was changed for the better. But it only meant that he had to be very, very cautious with his temper.

But they all knew better than to come between him and his beloved siren. Did they not?

*****

"... yes. Yes of course, I thoroughly understand. No, it would be good for the company. Yes, all right. Goodbye."

You sighed, settling the phone in the cradle with a slow movement. There was no use in arguing. With careful motions you returned downstairs, which had more or less become your living quarters for the past five months.

Did you need it? Was it necessary? Of course not, not logically. You were perfectly capable of seeing again, so you were free to return to the home that your brother and you had shared for years.

But memories- and a more pressing matter- kept you away.

Footsteps echoed down the stairs, heavy ones that you already knew. "He's hiring another guard," the low voice spoke up. Freddy could only sigh; he knew this was coming. You were hidden away, and couldn't very well work overnights every single night. A second guard was necessary.

To the owner, anyway. You never left the pizzeria.

The bear's hands rested on your shoulders, squeezing them in a reassuring manner. To be able to touch you, to hold you whenever he pleased was a luxury that Freddy was scared he couldn't always afford.

Your hands covering his sent a chill down his back, a feeling he relished. Even after so long, you weakened him. "Its fine. You'll... take care of the guard, won't you?" you asked, albeit hesitantly. To take care of the night guard... you knew what that meant. And you knew that Freddy was more than capable of handling someone.

You knew it all too well.

No. No, I won't think about that. It's in the past. He needs me here and now.

You spun around and hugged the brunet tightly, though tears began to leak from your eyes. The bear couldn't stand to see them, his mind beginning to panic. "My dear, please, whatever is the matter? Please... please don't cry... have I done something wrong?" Your tears pained the bandleader, and he wiped them away as gently as he could manage.

"N-no... I'm sorry, just... bad... bad thoughts," you murmured, burying your face into his shoulder. No, to be reminded of his cruelty would be a poor decision. Maybe even a deadly one. And you loved the bear dearly, far too much to remind him of the awful things he had done.

But the feeling of dread simply would not pass.

*****

"We're getting a new guard?" Bonnie's eyes blinked, surprised. He looked up from his practicing, eyebrows raised. Getting another guard, did that mean what he thought it did?

"Aye. Heard th' owner talkin' of it." Foxy sat down on the edge of the stage with a sigh. "I ain't positive, but I be thinkin' we're goin' back t' th' same old, same old." The pirate seemed depressed at the thought; he didn't enjoy killing night guards. He wasn't fond of killing, period.