The death of an innocent (Rewritten)

Start from the beginning

Tears? Red?

Red buildings, red sky, red streets, and red people...?
Sitting up stiffly, you immediately hunched back down into a cough. Your whole body ached with jet-lag, a soreness that pained every part of your body. Like all your limbs had been stretched beyond their joints, and your skull felt bashed in, like the cows on the farm.

What the hell is this? Where am I? 

Then you remembered. 

Hands flying up to your chest, you found there was nothing there. In fact, all that you felt was a pulsing numbness where the knife had been. 

You sat up once more, eyes absorbing the landscape. Cities, dead trees, upside down stars, and fire...you felt the glow of it all on your skin. This was all wrong. 

Where was the clearing? Had you made it after all? 

Did this mean you survived? You could see Ma and Pa!

A raspy voice came from behind you, yanking you out of your thoughts. You didn't have the strength to stand up yet, so instead you grabbed whatever was on the ground (it certainly wasn't dirt) and flung it at the man talking. Man?

It was a bat-looking creature. With a pudgy nose, disgusting hairs and dull wings riddled with holes. You suppressed the scream of terror. Bat creatures? Drinking beer? 

"Calm down Newblood!" He rasped. "Jesus...is this how you say hello? Throwin' soil on folks?" 

You felt a twinge of guilt, but didn't let your guard down just yet. 

"W-where the hell am i?" You gasped. It was getting harder and harder to keep your breathing under control.

"Ah, well you just answered your own question I'm afraid." 

You didn't take your eyes off him for more than a second to scan your surroundings once more.

He took a swig of his bottle, "I suggest you get used to the smell of blood, tears, and sex. You're gonna be here for a while." 

You gaped, mouth dry. Hell?

"I died?"

"Typically how it goes, yeah."

The reality was settling on your shoulders. He wasn't fucking around, hell, he was a talking bat-thing. Nothing could've explained that. 

"And what...what are you?" You apprehensively asked. The feeling was returning to your legs, but you played cripple, prepared to get out of there. If it truly was Hell, then everyone was down here for a reason. 

Including you.

"Names Lucki. Bat demon. If you think I look weird," he coughed hastily, putting his lips to the bottle, "You should see yourself."

You inhaled sharply. It was true. You didn't look a think like you had. With elegant jet-black horns protruding from your temple, and lime green eyes to boot. You couldn't exactly place your finger on what kind of animal you'd manifested as...at least it wasn't a bat.

It looked more feline. With a hint of reptile. 

Why am I so calm? I look like a demon. Ive died, somehow ended up in hell, and now like look like a lizard-puma hybrid.

"Can you point me to the nearest stay in?"

A lustful, sinister grin split his face in two "Only for a price, sweet-cheeks." 

Your sweet cheeks burned as you righted your body, and lunged forward to knock him off the bench with a hand on his throat. This, luckily, was when you discovered you had claws. "Tell me where a hotel is, or so help me, I will kill you a second time. Ive lost my patience with you."

He huffed, motioning his head to the right. His blatant indifference to your threat only embarrassed you a tiny bit. What was important was that he obliged. "Tch." He looked you up and down, "Two blocks down, but you might want some money." 

"Thanks."  You responded curtly. If that was the first citizen of hell you'd met, then you were terrified of what this world had in store for you. Sharply turning and heading in direction that Lucki had pointed to. You acted as if nothing had even happened. 

As you strode wherever this hotel was supposed to be, an overwhelming sting crept behind your eyes. Was this a stage of grief? Had you already made it to acceptance?

What would happen back home? Who even killed you? 

So many thoughts....it's best not to dwell.

Along the way, you kept thinking as to why you were even in Hell in the first place.
I mean. I'm a relatively good person...I have a moral compass, I've never...killed...

Last summer, during the harvest. 

Oh somebody was going to pay. 

God so help Satan.

You muttered obscenities to yourself, passing all sorts of terrifying monstrosities on the way. They all looked at you curiously. No doubt sensing your new-arrival. You probably looked like a fish out of water. If there even was water in a place like this.

Move forward.

You took a deep breath and tried to calm down.

Let's find a job, yeah? Then we can go beat Lucifer into letting me outta here.

{...}

Edit: May 10th, 2020. Its a wonder this even got reads considering how BAD THE FIRST CHAPTER IS?? I'm going through and editing, the poor souls that had to read this with all of its spelling mistakes.

Edit: Feb 2nd, 2021. Haha. Back again with more edits. I'm rewriting this story btw

this is a prologue of sorts, just laying down some basics. I don't think people really care about the background so I made it short.
I apologize if it didn't seem very "great depression-ish". not like I was around to experience that shit.
hopefully, you enjoyed it, and the next chapter will be out later today.
:)