Chapter XXIII - New Hope

Start from the beginning

So, a few weeks after the defeat of Kali and closing of the portals, Emri and Nora both took their leave from the realms and traveled to the lands of the hollows. They made their home in the Red Forest, and settled down at a small settlement right outside the kingdom formally known as The White. Kaleisha and everyone else they had met during their long and incredible journey surrounded them. Both Emri and Nora had been accepted into the Prospect Tribe, thus making use of Kaleisha’s welcoming offer, and both Emri and Nora, due to their demigod status, were elected as deputy chairs of the tribe. They didn’t want such recognition, but Kaleisha had said it was a great honor within the tribe and it would respect their wishes.    

The small tribe eventually grew to a small village, and both women had built a modest home in the trees. It was nothing like their old ways. The house was small and minimal, but it suited them just fine. For all their lives, they fought for acceptance, freedom, and above all, happiness. And they got all that and more exactly where they were.

Ryker had remained within the old kingdom of Gray. He visited often and both women returned the favor by visiting him. It was a nice change at times.

  The realms were slowly merging. No one expected a change overnight. It was a process that would take years to fully integrate and become a commonplace. Of course, many protested, and largely, most things remained unchanged. Three kingdoms still stood, the Council still remained, kings and demigods ruled over their respective kingdoms.  But the change came in the form of acceptance and equality. People were banished no more, and the transcendent portals were no longer the sole method of transportation. The kingdoms destroyed their boundaries and any and all who wished to venture off into the unknown lands of the hollows were free to do so. What surprised many the most, came in the residents of the Black. With new leadership and a whole new model of doctrines, citizens no longer feared their kingdom. Unique technologies and the wealth of information possessed and held by each realm were actively shared. Naturally, the White still reigned supreme and the Gray closely after. The Black still had leagues to grow and evolve, but over time, they would rise, and then the three realms would hold commonality in their influence and power. It was a prospect many never dreamed they would see come to fruition. But many would agree it held its promises. 

Nora’s hands trembled as she gripped the uneven and knotted wood railing. Leaning fully against it, she took a deep breath, releasing it as her beloved called to her.

“Nora?” Emri whispered, concerned now that she was fully awake. “What is it?” There was only one reason Nora would be awake at this hour, and shaken enough to leave bed.

 “Just a dream.”

“You haven’t had one of those in quite some time.”

Emri could see the gooseflesh forming across Nora’s exposed skin. Pulling her against her, Emri ran her hands up and down Nora’s arms, hoping to transfer some heat. “Come, I’ll rekindle the fire and warm some mulled wine. We can sit and watch the flames as it soothes are bodies and the wine eases our minds. Then we’ll come back here, and I’ll hold you all the while keeping your night terrors at bay.”   

“That sounds more than agreeable.”

“Shall we, Your Grace?” Emri said lovingly, the endearment only used by either woman during their quiet times together or during their typical banter when it was used with a light heart. It had been a title both women had to grow accustomed to. Your Grace was the formal address to demigods, and in turn, that’s how they were received beyond their private walls.

But now, in this time, it was all them.

Emri grasped Nora’s hand and squeezed it gently, reassuring her as they descended down the narrow and uneven spiral wooden plank steps that would lead them to the second level, or pod—as the locals called it—of their home. Like all the homes spread across the village, it was built among the trees. Utilizing their strength and natural abundance of materials to construct and maintain their home. The result ended in a spectacular and breathtaking experience. A community built within the trees, its people living and taking in harmony from nature. Simple and peaceful.