Chapter I - An Unexpected Friendship

Twenty-one years past, in the year of 1e93 on the 89th day of The Shine of Night.

It was not a rare occasion for one’s past to be revisited in the world of dreams. Too often dreams were of missed opportunities, twisted realities, or just simply a replay of certain moments in time. For Emri, her dreams were often plagued with all imaginable. The skeletons of her past frequented her imaginings, distorting what should be peaceful escapes to horrific nightmares.

On this night, though, her dreams were far kinder. Transporting her to a time and place where her life changed for the better. It’s odd to think one person, in the span of human life, could transform and shape the entire outlook on another. Actions of one can and will lead to the consequences of another, some beneficial and others harmful. So, when she finally awoke and readied for the day, a rather large smile decorated her small face.

Full of energy, she dressed quickly and jostled the small heap of blankets on the bed next to her own. “Come on, Danny. Ma’s already up,” she said as she poked at the soft arch in the ragged quilt covers. She rolled her eyes as the mass squirmed and retreated further into his den. “Come on, Ma’s already cooked breakfast and it’s getting’ cold,” she said to the lump. After no response, she blew a few wild hairs from her eyes and said, “Fine, but I’m not the one who’s gonna get in trouble for the critters you decided to hide out by the garden … which is where Ma is out diggin’ right now.”

The bed moved with a jerk and a dark wad of unruly hair peeked through. The young boy glanced around in a dazed panic; his eyes red and glassy from sleep.

Emri smirked knowing that would grab his attention. She had watched him as he collected a family of horny toads in Ma’s garden basket and covered it with an old sheet. This was bound to be entertaining. Ma hated the things after one had climbed in her clog and ran up her leg when she put her foot in. Emri didn’t know which of the three had moved faster: the clog, the horny toad, or her mother. But Danny loved catching them. He always let them lose in the end though. However, she did admit to helping Danny catch numerous bugs to feed the captured creatures. Secretly, she found them quite bizarre yet fascinating. At times she was just as eager to chase after the critters as Danny was himself. They made it a game of sorts. Whoever caught the most claimed the right to exclusive use of honey for the week.

As if on cue, a loud screech followed by several hollow tumbles and the sound of Danny’s name caused the young boy to fling his covers off and leap from the bed. Emri chortled to herself as she heard the two outside. Danny was getting an earful as Ma had apparently picked up the basket unknowing of its true contents and had begun placing picked vegetables when she discovered the menaces. Thank the Gods it early morning hunting time. Her time.

She headed to the small table next to the hearth where she ate a slice of dark bread, washed it down with barley water—sweetened the slightest with honey, and hurried off for her next adventure of the day with a game bag thrown over her shoulder and dagger on belt. She’d check the snare traps on her way and then once she returned home. Perchance, they might have an easy supper tonight.

“Emri! Don’t you wander too far now. There are chores to be done!” her mother called from the garden as Danny still looked for one of the lizards. He had managed to pick up all the spilt vegetables and righted what buckets and knickknacks her mother had managed to knock over.

The older woman knelt as she harvested what little crop the recent frost had not damaged. She wiped away a lone bead of sweat as the young girl ran up a small hill, the dead leaves and brush crunched under her step. She waved a hand in acknowledgment to her mother, and continued on up the hill until she broke the other side.