Chapter XII - The Walkers

Papers fluttered as the bitter draft from the large paned windows seeped through the thin, dry air. Anders had been keeping to the books since Ryker’s shocking discovery, occupying hours at a time in the library.  Milling through generations of past leaders, history of the realms, knowledge of Entery—their life and energy source, and studying the immortally of Gods and their offspring. Something had to be here, hidden within the pages. Tucked away between the lines. There was a reason for it all. There had to be. Kali did nothing rash. Everything was well-thought out—planned and executed with perfection. She was to gain something from this, but what he didn’t know.

But what was it?

In the thousands of pages he had scanned and turned, nothing had been mentioned about the great hollows. Nothing alluded to the realms being anything more than separate kingdoms, ruled by different rulers, yet overseen by the High Council of Thrice. Nothing to justify Nora’s claims, other than the sheets of parchment paper and the mythical purifier orbs she revealed.

Nothing to indicate Kali’s plot.

“What does she want?” he mumbled to himself. “What’da she get out of this?”

Being out of communication with the other realms didn’t help his efforts either. Kael, Ryker, and himself were the only visitors to the Black he trusted. He kept faith in no one else. Right now, his only true confidant was hundreds of leagues away. Heading straight into an unforeseen trap.

He turned the page in frustration and pinched the bridge of his nose. He looked at the page with  nothing more than boredom, until a heading caught his eyes.

Demigods

Half mortal and half divine in which the deity gene overtakes the mortal gene.

Defined as gods in their own right; hence, a demigod’s offspring will be deemed a demigod by birthright.

However, procreation by a demigod is an act against both divine and moral codes. Prosecution is weighed heavily according to the extent of violation.

He reread the passage several times, not understanding why, but doing it nevertheless. Then he began to thread possible scenarios together. Demigods were seen as an extension of the God that mothered or fathered them. They were a god in their own right, and with them came power—influence. But that seemed to be the most outlandish of possibilities.

A knock at the door broke this thought. After calling the visitor in, the heavy wooden door creaked open to reveal the eldest High Council Member.

Anders listened for the door to close before he began speaking, “Well? What news do ya bring?”

He watched while tapping his quill as the older man moved across the room and took a seat in front of him at the table.

“None good, I’m afraid.” He picked up the first book at the top of the pile and began to thumb through it. Stopping at a couple marked pages, and glancing over the words scribed there. “I’ve looked into your claims …” he said as he continued to turn pages.

“And?” Anders asked, not in the mood to wait.

“And, they’re true.”

“What does this mean?”

“I’m afraid you already know the answer to that, Anders,” Kael said with a resounding thump as he closed the small yet heavy book. The elder leaned back in his chair and let out a long breath. “We are dealing with something far greater than we ever imagined. And that fellow of The White you asked me about? His name is Arturo, Supreme Leader of The White. Kali’s first husband.”  He paused, allowing the words to mingle in the air. “We are alone in this, Master Anders. I fear a cleansing is taking place. The White and Black have always been at odds, and we have never fared well between the two. If a King of White and a Queen of Black collaborate—” he stopped, and shrugged his shoulders.