Chapter VII - Revelations

Dawn came far too quick for the young woman currently seated at the edge of the bench. Emri’s legs were open–relaxed, her back hunched, elbows resting on the table top, head tucked within them, and a soft groan spilling from her chest. Normally, mornings came easily, but after a night in the Black, she slept with one eye open. Her mind never once slowed during the night, so she resulted to tossing and turning before seeing the soft rays of dawn peeked through her high window.

She readied herself for the day to come before heading up to the kitchens to see what food was available. The guards were being served their typical rations, so naturally, Emri joined them, but had enough sense to set off by herself. It wouldn’t take long before gossip rooted within the guards, and they discovered her actions of last night.

The smell in the dining hall was heavy and fusty. The horrid smell of stale flesh boiling in unflavored and unseasoned liquid sank right into one’s gut. It was nauseating, and Emri didn’t know if her stomach could take such a smell, let alone ingest such substance so early in the morning on an empty stomach.

A loud thud and then another a second later pulled Emri from her dreary state. She sat up begrudgingly; rubbing the sleep from her puffy eyes and took in the repugnant sight in front of her. There was a bowl of foul smelling, partially congealed liquid, a wooden spoon to eat it with, and a cup of thick brown liquid masquerading as coffee. Her face twisted in horror, but curiosity got the better of her. She picked up the spoon and jabbed the contents of the bowl much like a child. She’d gathered a spoonful and let it fall with a sickening ‘plop’. But, she completely lost all control of her stomach contents when she picked up what looked like a stewed rat’s tail. Her stomach roiled violently, and her face turned red. With her eyes closed, she pushed the bowl and cup to the opposite side of the table, far out of her reach and sense of smell.

By the Gods! Even she and her family, who were peasants at best, had more fitting meals than this. As much as she grew to despise barely pottage and dark bread, she would eat her weight in the stuff given the chance now, especially with what sat in front of her.

“Better save room for our course, lass,” a deep voice spoke heartily as a heavy hand smacked her back. Her watery eyes sprang open to see her old mentor, Anders. “Wouldn’t want ya to spoil ya appetite on this rubbish.”

“Anders!” she said with excitement as she stumbled from the bench to give the older man a well-deserved hug. “You made it!”

“Aye, that I did.”

“How’s home? What about the portal? Is everyone okay?” she asked in a hurry.

A chuckled erupted from his chest as he sat down next to her. “Calm ya heart, lass. We’ll get to all that soon enough, but from what I hear, you’ve made quite the progress yourself.”

“I don’t know about that, Sir. I guess we’ll all find out soon, though.”

He hummed as the crowd of guards began to diminish, but not before a brawl started over a ration of soup.

“You asked about home,” he said, ignoring the fight as his fingers traced the knotted and split wood of the trestle table. “It’s wasn’t as badly damaged as once believed. Most was contained to the outer quarters. There was some damage done to the city, that’s to be expected, but nothing that can’t be fixed. Cleanup had already begun when I left.”

Well, at least some good news had come to the day. Perhaps that was a sign of what was to come. Yesterday was rough, both mentally and physically draining, and Emri did not know how much more she could take before her resolve shattered into a thousand splinters. Granted, not all was bad. Good had surfaced above the desolation, and with that, came hope.