Chapter XXII - Is That Light I See?

Start from the beginning

“Do you swear by your life in front of not only the Council, but the Almighty Gods of Thrice, that the woman named has changed and is no longer a threat to the Realms of Thrice?”

Her mind still reeling, offered, “Is this a trial? Where is she? I must see her.”

“This is an evaluation. But call it as you like, Miss Dyer. A life hangs in the balance—on your words. So, what say you? The quicker you do your part, the quicker you may see her. Unless … you have nothing further to add. Your voice was simply the deciding factor, but—”

His words caused a violent shiver to sweep over her body. Something in his tone didn’t set well with her. It wasn’t threatening, but urgent. The look in his eyes told her to speak, but speak with caution. It was obvious her words weighed heavily. “No! No, I …” she began, words failing her for a brief moment. She inhaled deeply and allowed all her thoughts to center around one individual—one woman. A woman who had been so integral in her life; a woman who changed her for the better—made her better; a woman who she loved with her whole soul. “What do you wish me to say that her actions haven’t already proven?” she said, voice soft yet thick with meaning—emotion. “She is … she is an extraordinary human being with a heart so large … I know people say her heart is as dark as the Realm she kept, but I have witnessed nothing of the sort. All I have ever known her for is love, tenderness, and kindness,” she paused as she recalled all the gentle touches and tender glances. In every look, in every touch Nora spoke feelings that she would possibly never utter.  And it was that touch that gave her true self away. “She is a gentle soul who bore an insurmountable weight upon her strong shoulders, even as a child. Her reign was evident of her mother’s raising; a cruel and heartless woman who abused and manipulated her own daughter into horrific acts. Nora is a threat to no one. Just look at what all she sacrificed for each and every one of you in this room. Shame on you for even questioning her. Nevertheless, I swear on my life she is no threat.” What else could she say to convince them? Her words apparently held much merit.  Then she realized, why. She was a demigod—a keeper to the realms, an honored Scout of Gray, and Advisor to the Black. But her demi status kept coming to the forefront of her mind. That held the most weight to these people. “I would give my life—sacrifice my status and honors as a demigod if it meant clearing her name and allowing her happiness—freedom.”

The man who stood before her flinched and she heard a series of gasps echo throughout the room. Rejecting or renouncing one’s status as a member of the divine was like a slap to their face; a rare gift that went unappreciated. But it seemed to get her intentions across.

“You would be willing to give up your demigod status for this half mortal? A half mortal who has committed atrocious acts against her own people, innocent and not? Why would you do this?”

She couldn’t help but smile at his shocked expression. If only he knew the connection they shared … the love they shared. “Because I was taught certain Gods spoke of redemption and forgiveness, but most importantly love. That how we as humans, were flawed by nature but our true nature lies in the willingness to love and forgive. I know all too well the acts Nora committed. And if asked, she would claim responsibility and put the blame on no one but herself. She knows fully that she did wrong. And not a day has passed that she hasn’t spoken of her remorse. Her past is full of misdeeds, but so is mine. I knew Nora as a young girl, and I know how truly good her heart is. But she has suffered greatly, and I wish nothing more than to give her happiness, because I believe she, above anyone, deserves to have some happiness in her life. But because I believe in her character and see her heart true, not only would I give up my demi status, but I would give my life for hers in a candle flicker.”

“You would give your life for this murderer?”

Tears unwillingly gathered in her eyes. “If it would guarantee her happiness, yes. Without hesitation.”