Before Rilien could give a reply – and it was probably for the best, because he wasn't sure how long he could follow Darlene's advice – a young redhead came to stand on the other side of the table, between Jorand Stormwave and Olishen Redsun, the military school's headmaster.

Other than Jem and Rilien, those two were the only ones left around the table. Both married to Rosethorn women, Jorand and Olishen were good friends, Rilien knew.

Seated beside Olishen was a green-eyed brunette whose honey-brown skin reminded Rilien of Leithan's complexion. Olishen's hand was on her thigh, and she looked bored. And beside Jem, a girl in red lace, with dark blonde hair and heavy makeup on her young face. She was massaging Jem's shoulders and neck with listless eyes. Though she put on a smile every time Jem glanced sideways at her.

So far, excluding Rilien, Jorand was the only one who didn't seem interested in any feminine company.

"What can I get you gentlemen?" asked the redhead in a charming high-pitched voice. She had a slight Cieltz accent, a pleasing lilt on her vowels.

"Actually," Jorand said, looking pleasantly up at her. "Could you bring me a coffee, Sunzar?"

She gave him a dazzling, full-lipped smile.

"Of course, Jorand. Anything else? Olishen? Jem?" she asked.

"Nothing for me," Olishen told her.

Jem looked up from his cigar and said, "Why don't you bring me a good bottle of red wine. Choose for me."

"Very well. And for our new guest?" the girl named Sunzar asked briskly, her maroon eyes landing on Rilien.

He noted that, unlike the others, Sunzar wasn't in lingerie. She wore a simple silk dress in shades of lavender and blue, and she had a slim navy scarf around her neck. Her auburn locks fell, smooth and thick, over her slim shoulders and breasts. Pearl earrings dangled from her earlobes.

Look for the one who's in charge, the one who's protective of the other girls, Darlene had advised. Get her alone, if you can. She's your ally.

"I think I could use a coffee, too," Rilien said.

"Jorand takes his with a bit of vanilla and nut mead," Sunzar said. "Would you like the same?"

Rilien smiled. "Sounds awesome."

She smiled back, and stepped around the table, her heels clicking the floor.

Before she could reach the bar counter, Jem called over his shoulder, "Hey Sun, could you tell one of the girls to come entertain my brother? Poor guy's all alone."

Sunzar said, "Certainly, I—"

Rilien interrupted, "No that's all right. I think I'm good for now."

Sunzar gave him a polite smile and made her way behind the bar, her expression unreadable.

In the corner, the gramophone was blasting orchestra music – a mix of brass instruments at the moment – and it was starting to snag at Rilien's nerves.

When he turned back around, he saw Jem giving him a frowning look.

"I want to take things slow," Rilien told him.

"All right," Jem said with a careful nod.

He left his half-smoked cigar in an ashtray, and got up. The blonde girl in red lace, who'd been giving him a massage, rose to her feet too. Jem draped an arm around her shoulders – with her heels, she stood taller than he was.

"I'll see you later, Ril," Jem said.

"See you later," Rilien said back, forcing casualness into his tone.