eighteen

The box that sat below him was littered with the numerous notes that he had once written to Emma. Two years worth of love letters all compiled together into one stack. It had been a year since he gave her the promise ring, and he decided it was time to make that promise official.

He took a few out, scanning to find his personal favorites, setting them aside for his project. Emma was out and about with Grayson, a little plan he had made to divert her attention from what he was currently doing. Ethan only needed a couple hours to get everything set up.

These nerves weren't new to him, he's experienced them quite a few times before. When he wrote her the first letter, when he revealed himself, when he asked her out, when he promised to make her the one forever. They were stirring in his stomach, but they were of course the excited anxious kind.

He revised his chosen notes and added a few minor details that would all come together soon. He placed the important, small box in his pocket, so he was ready for when the moment arose.

It was nearing midnight, the night before their two year anniversary. He felt like if he had Grayson take her out on the actual day it would be suspicious. He wanted to keep this as a surprise she would have never expected. Ethan had to give an alibi as to why he wasn't coming along with them, so he excused himself to a night in because he had a "really important video game championship" to partake in. Needless to say, she took the bait.

Ethan drove to his nearest grocery store and picked up a few supplies that would tie everything together. It didn't take him long since he had planned this out for a while. He set foot in the store and directed his sight to only the items he needed, and then immediately left, wasting absolutely no time.

Back at the apartment, he set to work and made everything look the way he had imagined it in his mind. He was a little out of breath and it didn't help his heart was hammering in anticipation.

As expected, he received a text from his brother saying they were a few minutes out. Perfect considering there was only five minutes until the clock struck midnight. He was confident she wouldn't suspect a thing.

He dimmed the lights and sat on the couch, awaiting their arrival. When he heard keys jingle and the lock rotate open, he smiled as Emma entered his view. Her eyebrows furrowed as she tried to comprehend what was happening.

The main lights were off and instead candles scattered around the kitchen and the living room. Grayson soon stepped aside to watch it unfold from his room doorway.

As Emma walked forward, she noticed Ethan sitting on the couch and on the coffee table sat three notes.

"Ethan, what's going on?" She asked.

He simply smirked, "Read and find out."

She picked up the first note on the left and began reading, realizing it was the first note he had ever given her.

... I was dumbstruck with the presence of you, but all I can do for now is admire you from afar.

<3
Happy

Emma brought her eyes back to meet Ethan's, a confused look resting upon her face. He chuckled slightly and waited for her to continue.

... But there's something about you, something that keeps me up at night and I just can't figure it out. It's just that you're so beautiful, I suddenly don't know how to act.

- E
Anniversary

Emma thought she understood. She merely believed this was just an anniversary surprise and nothing else. She figured it was a cute way to look back on their last two years. She's partially correct, however, there's more to it than that. Emma reads the next one in the corresponding order.

... And I swear, I wasn't stalking you. I was already at the coffee shop when you walked in. So I thought I would bring you one this morning so you didn't have to get out :)

-Yours Truly,
Ethan
My darling, Emma

At the end of each note, it read out "Happy Anniversary my darling, Emma".

She looked up at her boyfriend, about to reach over and hug him, but before she can do that, he holds out his arm and points to their door. It was closed and a note was delicately taped to it. She padded over to it and Ethan followed closely behind her. Peeling the note off, she opens it and finds a new letter she had never read before.

Two years ago, I promised you the title of being my girlfriend. A year ago, I promised forever with you. This year, I'm keeping that promise and offering you much more.

Open the door, Em.

Emma placed her hand on the doorknob and twisted it slowly, revealing what Ethan had spent the most time working on.

Inside, gold and black balloons flooded the ceiling and rose petals were spread out across their white comforter. What stood out most, was the giant silver, foil balloons that spelt out "Marry me?" There was a lot to take in, but immediately tears welled in her eyes. She turned around to face Ethan, and instead she found him kneeling down in front of her. In his hand, held a black box with the corresponding ring that matched her promise ring.

"Ethan..." She muttered, shaking her head in disbelief.

"Emma, will you do me this honor and marry me?" He asked, his grin as wide as it could be.

She nodded frantically, "Of course!"

He stood up from his previous position and slid the ring to connect with her other one, completing the open circle with a smaller inner circle, encrusted with tiny diamonds.

Emma grabbed his face with both of her hands and kissed him intensely. Her tears fell between their lips, but neither cared. Ethan could now call her his fiancé and soon enough, his wife.

hi! sorry if this was super cheesy or cliche but i wanted him to do a proposal that suited the story. this story will soon come to a wrap. probably two more before its over. sorry if updates are kinda slow, i'm celebrating my birthday tomorrow.