Mysterious Boy At The School Gate - Paranormal Forbidden February Contest 2019

[WINNER OF FORBIDDEN FEBRUARY CONTEST 2019 SHORT STORY]

Paranormal and Supernatural
@Paranormal

***

At our school, there are games that are popular since whoever known. The game was imitated from an old novel. There is many peoples tell the story passed generation.

They call the game, "Mirror".

Close all doors and windows. Turn off the lights and place a small candle in front of a long-standing mirror. Face the mirror right at 2 o'clock in the morning. Say the mantra, "Mirrors, show the face of my death" while closing your eyes, says that 3 times, then open your eyes and look in the mirror. Then the mirror will show the face of your death.

Just hearing it, I already felt goosebumps.

"Good morning, Nao?" A little girl sat at the gate of an old house that I passed. She smiled.

I looked at her and just nodded. It was a busy morning where many people passed by. I want to reply to the girl but, the girl is only visible to me.

Yes. She was dead. 3 years ago. She fell from the iron ladders in the playground when her parents didn't pay attention. The girl always sat there every morning. I wonder why? Why doesn't she go to heaven? She is still a child, what is she worried about?

But, that's a promise. A promise to my grandmother, if I will not say it to anyone, even my parents and siblings if I can see a ghost. Just passed it, nod your head, or ignored. That's what grandma said. But, in my eyes, the ghost I saw was always the same as a human. This is difficult. It's hard. Sometimes I lost control and talk to them.

This morning the street and the trees are filled with piles of snow. It was a very cold day. Winter in February.

When I arrive at the school gate, I see a boy standing, leaning against the school gate fence. He used our school uniform, a warm vest and plaid blue trousers, and a gray scarf. There is snow in his blackish brown hair. He just stood down while putting his hand in his pants pocket. His school bag is placed on his right shoulder.

While I was watching, he raised his face and looked at me. I'm a little surprised. Feels awkward, I quickly looked away and continued my steps towards the school gate.

When I passed through the school gate, he suddenly says something that surprised me. I looked at him in confusion.

"Hey, can you see me?" He smiled.

I know that! Normal people will not be standing in the cold like that!

"Nao!"

I looked away when I heard my name being called. My best friend Mia, running toward me, "Good morning! What are you doing?"

I turned my face towards the boy, but he was not there anymore. He's gone.

"Let's go to a class. I haven't done the assignments, let me a copy, OK?" Mia grinned while holding my hand.

I took a deep breath, "You have to stop the habit immediately,"

"This is the last one," Mia winked.

"That's what you said the other day," I chuckled.

We then headed to the classroom on the 2nd floor. I sat on my desk which was right next to the window. Mia sits right in front of me. I'm looking outside, the weather was quite good today.