four

It felt weird. Different even.

It was only grade five, I'm way too young to be crushing on anyone.

And he's a boy.

No one else had a crush on the same gender. I don't even know what it means to have a crush on the same gender.

Zach was cute though.

Was it bad that I thought those thoughts? It's obviously not a normal thing, but then again what does normal classify as?

I was scared today. Someone else knew. Okay, I didn't really say anything to Jonah after he had the talk with me, but I didn't deny it.

Was it that easy to tell that I maybe had a crush on him?

My brain hurt from all these questions.

I walked off of my bus and and saw Zach getting out of his car. Damn it.

You could only see his legs and face from how much he was covered with snow gear. It was quite adorable.

My legs started walking toward him, and he turned around and saw me, "Hey Jack."

"Hey."

We walked to the playground together, chatting about superheros and video games.

"Is the constellation project due this week?" asked Zach.

"Yeah, today's Monday and I'm pretty sure it's due on Wednesday."

"Wednesday?!"

"Yeah..."

"We need to draw a photo of it today."

Jack nodded, "Yup."

The bell rung and we got into our line. I looked at Zach again, who was chatting with Daniel about his constellation project, and just sighed. Why did Zach have to come to this school and make me extremely confused?

I got a tap on my shoulder and looked behind me. It was Jonah, "You okay?"

I nodded my head. It's an easy way out of awkward situations that I don't want to be in. And what makes it better is that the other person can't tell if you're lying or not. It's perfect.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." I told.

~

In the morning we did math and it was sort of easy, it just doesn't help when the thought of Zach is basically crowding my mind. It's crazy, really. But every time we slightly brush arms or elbows even, there's this fire that sparks up in my stomach. It's weird, and I've never felt it before.

It's all so new to me.

Now it's recess and Zach and I are walking with Jonah and Corbyn, while Corbyn ranted about Leo and Audryna. Jonah just nodded his head when he had to, but kept on looking at me and Zach.

I felt like Jonah was going to say something. I hope he won't.

"Okay, follow me, we're on a hunt for more tea." told Corbyn while dragging us all behind him.

It didn't take long until Leo came walking toward us with a smirk plastered on his face. Corbyn sighed, "Yes?"

"Is this the new kid?" asked Leo while nudging his arm to Zach. I instantly step in, "Yeah, why?"

"Oh, ha, looks like a wimp. Audryna seems to have a crush on you. What does she see in you?" asked Leo while taking off Zach's hat.

"Why are you talking?" I told while taking Zach's hat back. Zach just hid beside Jonah.

"Are- Are you hiding from me? Jesus! You're embarrassing."

Zach just frowned.

"Says you! Yesterday was the most embarrassing thing ever with Audryna, jeez." told Corbyn.

"Seems like you're jealous." told Jonah.

Zach felt amazing to know that the boys were sticking up for him, but guilty for making them do just that.

"Jealous of what?" asked Leo before walking away.

"He's just petty. Ignore him." I said while defending Zach. It felt great to stick up for the boy.

Zach just smiled, "Thank you guys for defending me, honestly you didn't have to."

"No problem!"

"Oh, Corbyn, look!" gasped Jonah dramatically. I looked to where Jonah was pointing and he was pointing at,

nothing?

He quickly whispered something to Corbyn and Corbyn nodded, "Oh! Oh, yeah, yeah, we'll be back!"

Jonah winked at me before running away with Corbyn. I shook my head, and Zach looked confused, "What are they talking about?"

"I have no clue."

~

I watched Zach as he searched furiously through his desk for our constellation sheet. We had printed the paper out, and deleted the document on our laptops. We also had the rubric (our teacher always gives them out and NEVER gives seconds, so if you lose your first copy, you best wave that mark goodbye) in his desk too, but he couldn't seem to find it.

"I swear Jack, I would never lie to you, I put it in my desk."

My heart fluttered. "I know Zach, just search a little bit more."

"Mrs. Rouge is going to get so mad at me," muttered Zach under his breath, "Jack, I- I don't think it's in here. I swear, I remember putting it in my desk yesterday, you saw it!"

"Yup. Zach, don't worry. I can get Corbyn to photo copy us one, and we can just restart."

"Restart!? It's due in two days!"

"We can hurry, but we'd have to like, do it after school, since Mrs. Rouge doesn't give us a lot of periods to work on it." I told nervously. We'd have to do it at each other's house, I can feel the that feeling making its way back into my stomach.

"Are you sure we should start over?" asked Zach.

"If we can't find it, then what other choice do we have?"

"I'm sorry." told Zach with guilt. I just shook my head, "Don't be. Stuff happens."

"If we want to work on it after school, I'll have to ask my mom." said Zach.

"Same. I'll ask tonight, do you have an email I can contact you with?"

"Yes, here, let me get a piece of paper."

He was so beautiful. I've never used that word before, it seems so powerful, and Corbyn has barely used the word 'beautiful' on Christina. But I feel that Zach fits the word perfectly. Hell, he was perfect.

I'm cheesy.

He wrote down his number on a piece of paper that he ripped off of his math book and handed it to me. Heat rose to my cheeks as his hand touched mine, I'm so pathetic really.

"Thank you. I'll text you tonight."

"Sounds good." told Zach with a smile. I smiled back, silently making a 5 Seconds of Summer reference in the back of my head (I'm quite obsessed with Luke Hemmings), and contently sat down and started chatting about what we plan do to with the project.

~~~~~~~

*silently hopes y'all have noticed the chapter names*