Chapter Five

Wolf Den

I was right that my concussion was mild. The Alpha's doctor, the same small woman before, whose name I learned was Reyna. She gave me two ibuprofen and told me to get some rest and avoid stressful situations. Her eyes flickered to my wrist on the last part.

I'd given her a dead look and replied, "Stressful, like being held prisoner in an enemy war camp?"

She'd clicked her tongue and correct me by pointing out that it wasn't an enemy war camp so much as an enemy headquarters. I instantly liked her, or would have, you know if not for the beast thing.

The Alpha had shown me proof about the boys afterwards. He had a portable computer, a laptop he'd called it in passing. On the screen was a video feed, it was shaky and whomever was filming had the tips of their fingers at the top of the feed. Still, I could see the boys as the Lycans released the boys at our vehicles. For a moment I wondered how they'd known where the vehicles were, we'd left them pretty far away... I suppose it wasn't far enough. I kept quiet when the boys took off in the opposite direction of the Compound.

They would lead any Lycans away should they follow them. Once they got far enough away, they would just about tear the bike and Jeep apart to see if there were any trackers on them. Or they may just scrap them and find a new way home. It would be a few days before they reached the Compound. They were out of here, though, and that was enough for now.

The Alpha snapped the laptop shut. "You have your proof."

I nodded, looking for my voice. It was harder than I thought, watching them leave Ben and me here. I wanted them out of here, away from danger, but watching them drive off, hurt. You know they'll be back, my inner voice said. Father will bring an army to get you back.

I took a small breath. "Thank you," I murmured quietly. It was oddly easier to hate him less when there was no one else around. "For letting me say goodbye to them." He could have just carted them off instead of giving me a moment with them.

The Alpha's eyes softened slightly. "You're welcome," he said, not trying to provoke or impress his dominance upon me for once. "Come."

It wasn't a request. I squared my shoulders and followed him as he led me through the building. Their med bay was on the first floor, we were leaving there now. I was glad to be out of the room. It was all white, bright lights, and shiny metal. It brought up bad memories for me.

"So why did you forgo the blindfold for this little tour?" I asked conversationally as he started up a set of stairs. I was getting further and further away from Ben who was still locked up in the basement. "Not that I'm complaining." I was already complying a mental map of the place.

"You'll be living here from now on," the Alpha replied. "I don't want you getting lost." Did that mean he intended to let me roam by myself?

There was no need for him to mention that I wouldn't try to escape. Not when he had Ben in the basement. "It is unnecessary to keep him here," I said softly as we continued down a hall. "I'm not an idiot. I knew from the moment you declared me as your mate that I would never return to my home. My people are keenly aware of what a mate means among your kind."

"I suppose you have something to say on that, don't you?" the Alpha remarked, almost coldly. "That it is barbaric."

"It is," I agreed, though he wasn't really saying that he thought of it that way. "And it is clearly a flawed system if we are in this situation." I took a breath before I could get worked up. "However, that wasn't my point. Hunters known of the lengths your kind go to in order to protect your mates. You hold the bond as sacred. Unbreakable."