Chapter Eleven

A lot of people, from what I read from their letters, were surprised by your feelings for Andy. Maybe most of all yourself. Here's an example of one:

10/30—1925

My Darling Little Munchkin,—

I'm writing a few letter to some of my old girl to-night. So I can't forget my old Gal,--

First, what the bull is the idea of you standing on a fence every time you get you picture taken? A little lady that has traveled as much as you have should stand on her own feet and look the whole World in the eyes—But I see that Calavaris farmer is a big husky boy, if you ever marry that fellow, he can surely turn you over his knees and spank your little A. any Time you kick over the Traces—Roll that is your cigie and smoke it.—

I'm not a damn bit afraid of any guy that you marry Dear I know you will never kiss them with any more sincerety in your heart, than, you kissed good-by to your Uncle + Aunty in little Ol New York—Now be a good little Munchkin and I think we will be out on the Gold Coast sometime in the near future. Trust in the good Lord, keep your nose clean, and cover up your hind Legs. Show this to my, dear, sweet, sincere, good, friend Dodo Butler and tell her that I think of her and my dear Betty more times than they think, I do. Tell Dodo, I got a very good look at her hid hind Legs, up at Angus Calanti, but the whole dam world saw them, where she kissed me at the Penn R.R. Station in N.Y.C. I haven't time for any more of this to-night, I wish you could see it snow, as I write this. If you were here now Munchkin we would have some fun—in the Snow.

Love to Jo + Betty and don't forget I will Love you forever.

My Little Munchkin

Dick XXX

~

I'm assuming Dick is one of your many flirty brothers, or at least a friend you made while in New York. I'm sure you sent him photos of you sitting on a fence near Andy, showing him the man you were falling in love with. Though Dick doesn't seem convinced of your feelings, or is at least teasing you.

How did these letters make you feel? Did you toss your head back and laugh, or did you stamp your foot in annoyance? What was so hard to accept that you were falling in love with a cowboy?

Like Andy at the Mokelumne Hill Post office, perhaps your friends and family saw you dashing to mail yet another letter to your big sweetheart with shaking heads. That girl needs to get off the fence about that farmer boy, they'd say.

It wasn't just about deciding whether or not you were in love, though, Gen. At least, where I'm coming from, I can see how it wouldn't have been an easy choice to make. Going out on dates with flirty young men was one thing; deciding if you want to marry one is quite different. It's deciding what kind of life you wanted, what your future will hold. And some marriages are not always the right choice. You should know, and I do, too.

~

A famous comedian once said, "No good marriage ends." Unfortunate advice from a man who was later found out to be masturbating on the phone with unsuspecting women.

(Oh, don't be so shocked, Gen, you survived the Roaring Twenties, for heaven's sake.)

While there is a grain of truth in what he said, we have to consider the source. I learned at a young age to take any kind of advice about divorce with a grain of salt.