The Waltz

Okay, so this one is a LONG Kallura fic I came up with between seasons 6 and 7, drawing from two prompts and combining them into one.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

"Coran, this is embarrassing," Keith grumbled while he danced with Princess Allura.

"If you're going to dance with Allura, you're going to have to have a better attitude!" Coran cheerfully scolded.

"Come on, Keith, cheer up!" Allura encouraged him.

"Watch where you're stepping!" Coran interjected. "Now then, on my lead; one, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four."

Keith cringed and groaned. This was happening because the Coalition leaders were hosting a ball in Allura and Voltron's honor, and as if seemingly on a whim, Allura had asked Keith to accompany her. Since formal occasions and ballroom dancing still weren't Keith's forte—he'd gone off with the Blade of Marmoa, or the Bunch of Marmites, as the rest of Team Voltron were calling them now—to avoid shit like this... and because he was afraid of rejection... Coran insisted on teaching Keith the finer basics of the occasion.

Coran held the lesson in a large room in the Olkari capital. In terms of size, the room was not as big as a ballroom, but big enough to allow Coran to teach the young Black Paladin how to ballroom dance and practice with Allura at the same time. Luckily for Keith, the movements were uncannily like the ballroom dancing on earth, like he would've seen at the end of those century-old Disney movies. However, he was utterly embarrassed, not just because he was learning to dance with Coran, but because Hunk, Lance and Pidge had wandered upon the lesson, and Coran vehemently refused to leave the room. So now the Garrison trio were eager spectators, happy to watch him be embarrassed.

"And stop giving the, 'oh, I was on a space whale with my mother for two years and forgot about basic manners' excuse!"

"I didn't say anything!"

"Oh, but I know you were thinking it!" Coran scolded. "I can see it from over here!"

"Yeah! You know how bad that Marmite suit smells?" Lance heckled.

"What does that have to do with dancing?" Keith asked.

"Um, hello! It's called 'hygiene'!" Coran answered matter-of-factly.

"I lived by myself for a year and still took showers!" Keith spat. "And weren't we supposed to be dancing?"

"Wouldn't you rather be dancing with your mommy—OW! Cor-raaaan!"

"Alright, alright, that's enough," Coran interrupted as he walked over to the giggling Garrison trio, smacking Lance while simultaneously wagging his finger. "Keith's right, we're supposed to be learning how to dance." He turned around and turned back to Keith and Allura. Utterly mortified, Keith tried to hide his blushing, but was unsuccessful, due to Coran taking his arms and making the young man and Altean princess get back in position.

"You owe me for this, Coran," he muttered.

"If that's your way of flirting with Allura, you've got a long way to go," said Coran.

"Huh!?"

"The way you flirt is shameful!" Allura playfully scolded.

Sighing, Keith shifted his focus back to the dance and the steps Allura led him through. As mentioned earlier, the dance's uncanny resemblance to earth waltzes and other ballroom dances made it easier for him to learn the steps, assisted by the steps themselves being projected onto the floor. To be perfectly honest, he'd rather have his first dance with Allura at a honky-tonk or western bar in Texas or his Arizona home, close to the Garrison. But he reminded himself that he was doing this for Allura, and he had to do his best, despite his reluctance and shyness.