Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"Something is scaring me, I feel like you're going to leave," Suki whispered. Her gaze was still cold, but you weren't sure if that coldness was directed at you or something else.

"Don't worry, Suki," you pressed a hand to her shoulder and smiled. I'm really not going anywhere. If we somehow had a chance to leave the House, I'd go with you."

You let out a subtle breath of relief when Suki's expression warmed and she smiled, "Yeah, you would. Thanks (y/n), I'm not sure what came over me."

"No problem. What do you want to do?" You asked cautiously.

"Let's hang out in my room!" She began pulling you that way. Suki's thoughts were piling up in her head and she wasn't sure what to do about them. She had...impulses she wanted to act on. She restrained herself. She wanted to press kisses to your skin, to tell you all the things she liked about you, to hold you forever. Had Jason been lying to her about you possibly returning her feelings? You certainly hadn't acted on them if you did.

When the two of you arrived, Suki led you to a comfy chair and sat on her bed. "Do you wanna play a game?" you offered.

"Let's just talk. Are you interested in anyone?"

You groaned in annoyance, but also felt a pang of nervousness, "Why is that all anyone wants to talk about? But no, I don't think so. Not really. I'm just focused on friends right now, I think..."

Suki frowned, "Who else has been asking? I don't wanna be left out of the loop is all."

"Can we talk about something else?" you requested. Telling Suki about your most recent interactions sounded like a bad idea.

"No way, angel! What are you hiding?" She leaned on her forward to rest on her palms. "Did you confess to someone? Who was it? Did they reject you? They're stupid if they did. But if they didn't, maybe you should break up with them." Suki was going a mile a minute, you could barely keep up.

"Suki, stop. I didn't confess to anyone, okay? It's not a big deal," you insisted.

"Someone confessed to you," Suki inferred, her gaze now on the floor. "Right? Who was it?"

You didn't reply, frowning. Should you leave? You were thinking about going to your room at this point.

"Who was it?" She said, louder this time. Her gaze snapped to you, but you didn't meet her eyes. "(y/n), come on, tell me. Okay?" You could hear her voice cracking. Oh fuck—is she going to cry? Seriously?

"Suki, it's not a big deal. Don't be sad, I'm not dating anyone. Let's just do something fun," you tried to end the discussion.

Suki scooted closer to the edge of her bed, "You really won't tell me? Why? Are you afraid I'll be upset? Or is this your way of telling me something?"

"I'm telling you to drop it," you scowled as you stood. "Suki, I can't do this right now. Let's hang out later."

Suki jumped up and held both your arms before you could get very far, "No wait! Listen, I'm sorry okay? I'm just anxious. I want to know what's going on, that's it. Is that so bad?" She began laughing nervously, "Why won't you tell me? I don't get it; do you not trust me?"

"Suki..." you looked concerned, "I just know that you might still have feelings for me, and I don't want to cause any trouble."

"You don't have to look out for me, even thought that's very sweet," she grinned. You didn't like the sight—she looked crazed. "You're driving me nuts though, just tell me. I can take it. Was it Jason? I thought he might like you, but he promised me he didn't. We're pretty good friends, but he's been acting so distant lately." When you stared blankly at her, she leaned closer, her breath hitting your cheek. You were backed into the door, trapped.