Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

It was a new day for Jenna. Well, with the way time worked around here, it was one long day, or maybe many overlapping days. Days bled into each other and didn't make much sense. Regardless, she was awake and ready to begin working as she always did. She got breakfast from the kitchen and only narrowly avoided having to eat with Suki. Jenna considered herself lucky when she was able to eat alone. It was peaceful. It wasn't that she hated people, she just felt incredibly uncomfortable to be around such a great number of people that she didn't know. She knew that to trust you or Don was a risk, but if she didn't have anyone in the house, she might go crazy.

She sighed. From what she knew about you and Don (which was admittedly not much), she couldn't trust the pair of you completely. If she discovered something incriminating, she'd have to keep it to herself until she had sufficient evidence. Otherwise, it was possible that you and Don wouldn't trust her. Even worse—the pair of you could betray you. It's hard to work alone, but she refused to sit idly in this situation.

Jenna decided today would be a good day to find some unfound rooms. It wasn't too suspicious to want to learn about your surroundings, so even if Quince foiled her plans again, she would have a good excuse. "I wonder why the attic is off limits, anyway," she thought. "But...I don't want to break a rule unless I feel it is absolutely necessary. Maybe later." With that in mind, she made her way to the hallway near the library. The hallways seemed to change when no one was looking, which made exploring a bit of a mess. Anytime she asked someone about it, they waved it off as hallucinations. It made her confused. Her mind was a bit of a mess, but there were some undeniable truths she had gathered thus far: 1.) There were several books in the library with pages torn out. Why? Was someone saving information—or hiding it? 2.) There were no telephones or other ways of long-distance communication in the house. She mentioned this to Quince once, and he insisted that such things made him uncomfortable. "I died in the eighties, Jenna. We didn't have those things, so I would really prefer to just leave them out." This seemed selfish, but somewhat acceptable. 3.) Some rooms were not always were you left them. She didn't care if everyone told her she was hallucinating, she was absolutely sure some of the rooms moved around. She couldn't explain why they did this, but any time she tried to illustrate a map, it was useless. A few rooms stayed put—The library, the kitchen, the Livingroom, and the bedrooms—and she guessed that had to be because they were the most frequented. 

But she didn't really know. It didn't help that no one else cared to help her understand, either. How such a large group of people could be so complicit in their own unexplained presence in this house was a mystery to her. She shook her head. If it was her burden to bear, then she would deal with it. She couldn't give up.

In one room, she found simply a roundtable with a plant. Walking toward it, she noticed that the room seemed even smaller the longer she was in it. It was hardly more than a closet! She left the room. It's just a plant. The next room contained shelves full of board games. "I'll have to suggest we play these sometime," she noted to herself while rifling through the shelves. She could take a more thorough search through here later, but for now, it looked to be devoid of anything suspicious. Quite a few rooms were just sitting rooms with various degrees of decorating.

And then she came across the next room. It was full of instruments. For a moment, all her suspicion flew from her mind and her eyes sparkled. "A piano..." She slowly sat in the seat and tried a few keys. As she may have guessed, it was in perfect tune. She automatically assumed the correct posture and began to play. It had been too long since she had touched a piano; it had been too long since she had felt so carefree.