Nothing Else Matters

He heard a light tap on his window, lifting his head up to watch his best friend's tiny body climb through his bedroom window, landing with a bounce on top of his bed.

Her hair glistened with raindrops and her clothes were now see-through from the water. It never rained in California, and even when it did, it wasn't even enough to make a difference, but tonight it seemed as if God was trying to cleanse the world of something.

She didn't say anything, walking to his closet and grabbing out a big t-shirt and a pair of his underwear, ripping her dripping clothes off, throwing them into his laundry basket, then slipping on the oversized boxer-briefs and shirt - both of them drowning her body in their much bigger size.

She kicked off her shoes to the side of the room, grabbing a pair of Sean's socks and pulling them onto her feet before walking towards him and slipping into his bed, pulling the covers over their bodies once she was cuddled in next to him.

Sean's eyes traced her face, noticing the slight darkness that was beginning to appear under her eyes. "He did it again?"

She nodded at him, slighting shrugging her shoulders, as to indicate that is wasn't that big of a deal. He shook his head at her actions, sighing as he spoke, "I hate that you have to live there with him."

"It is only for a couple more months and then I will be eighteen. I can handle it."

"You shouldn't have to handle it."

This was a tradition at this point, he almost expected the slightly younger girl to slip through his window at least a couple times a week. It was almost the same routine - she would come to his house, stepping on the pot that sat under his window to boost herself up, plopping herself onto his bed then grabbing his clothes and slipping in next time to him on the bed.

Sometimes they would watch Friends, other times she would watch intently as Sean's fingers strummed his guitar, other times they would just fall asleep entangling themselves into each other. Mostly though, they would talk, for hours and hours until the city lights that lit the world from the nighttime darkness was replaced with the sun that was rising.

Sean would listen as she talked about just how bad her home was, wrapping his arms around her when tears spilled out of her eyes. They would ramble on and on, daydreaming about the day they both would become adults, Sean promising that they would move to Los Angeles together, leaving her sucky life behind.

They've been best friends forever - Sean being the first and only person she ever told about her family and how fucked up they were. Her mom constantly traveling for her job, leaving her alone with her stepdad who constantly came home drunk. Her siblings already moved out, leaving her alone to deal with his constant abuse.

He would come home after hours at the bar, making his way towards her room, where he would knock hard on her door before barging in. He sometimes would use her body as a way to get out his frustrations with life, other times he would try to have his way with her.

Most times she would hear the door slam and his footsteps as he walked down the hallway towards her room, in which she would climb out her window and run to Sean's house who lived next to her.

Other times, she wasn't so lucky.

And when this happened, she would usually hide out in her bedroom for days, not showing up for school and not answering anybody's calls or texts. Sean knew what this meant. So he would rush to her house, barging into her room to see the small girl laying in her bed, eyes staring at the wall.

His body would always rake with relief to see her still breathing and he would walk towards her, climbing in beside her and wrapping his arms around her waist, pulling her into his body. Something about being with him made her feel safe and she would burst into tears, her mouth releasing sobs as he whispered apologies into her hair for allowing him to hurt her again.