Chapter 18: Double trouble

The next day after school the two eat a snack together in the dormitory break room. With the way they're talking now all previous tenseness has fully been lifted. Still Sonny's fate keeps taking over her thoughts. Trying to focus on their conversation and push such fear aside. "Just got a text from Ron. They'll be arriving here soon. Does your body feel up for it given our last mission?"

"Yeah, I actually felt better after I rested," she replies hesitantly with a nod. Though part of Brooklynn wishes she could lie about her condition to push off any exploring until tomorrow. Only hoping the chest isn't in the one for today.

"Anyway I should be asking you that." Glancing at the bandage still on his right arm. It's no longer bleeding but she still feels guilty about leaving him behind before. "I can heal you with my magic if I transform."

"I told you it's fine! Might've hurt at the moment but not as bad as it looks." Chugging the rest of his drink and getting up from the round table.
"Come on, we should hurry and get ready."

...

"If you're going to be mad at anyone it should be us. We told him to lie to you," Ron declares, the minute they step foot in the back seat.

"No, I'm not angry anymore."

"Hopefully this mission will go smoother for you both than the last one. We haven't even started hitting the big ruins yet," Jerry points out.

"Oh, I was wondering how does Gores stay in his form so long?" she asks her partner. Assuming Fels have a limit similar to herself, but why doesn't that seem to apply to him?

"...I'm not really sure quite honestly. He has had a lot of practice with it. Somehow his mentality is nearly immune to the state. Gores is strong and I'm sure he's holding back for some reason. We have to be prepared for when he truly does go all out."

The drive is about the length as the last time. The limo parking at a rusty coloured ruin surrounded by sand. It's crazy to see what different climates exist just around the capital. Doing her typical spell the barrier is broken. Parting with the detectives as they head for the entrance. Only now for two figures to be standing in the distance.

"Who is that? Gores, but..." her guess trailing off. Duran wouldn't dare show himself in public, and neither appears to be Gores either. Not spotting the typical jester hat he's always wearing, and the shadows look a bit small to be adults.

"No that's-!"

"Dad was right! He knew they were driving to this one!" A girl exclaims with a twirl.

"Long time no see, Sonny." A teenage boy calls out. He's average height having dark pink hair and deep green eyes. Wearing black jacket with several pins stuck on it, and jeans with zippers all over them. The younger girl standing beside him hair is a lighter shade. Flowing down her back and similar large green eyes. She has on a purple vest with a white poka doted pink and blue shirt under it. A light blue fluffy skirt and matching striped socks. Brooklynn can already tell the two are definitely siblings, and one pair from Sonny's explanation comes to mind.

"Akira, Isabelle!" he shouts, and the older male scoffs walking closer to them.

These really are Gores's children...

"So you're the next Felixa, Brooklynn Daniels. You aren't what I was expecting at all. I wanted someone who would put up more of a fight. Though you did injure our dad so badly he couldn't even come today."

"...We had no other choice. Gores kept getting in our way," Sonny mumbles.

"Well you won't win against us. You know what will happen if she destroys the Erebus chest. For that fact we'll do everything we can to stop you both. Cheryl took the secretive approach posing as a middle school student, and she was actually in high school. But I think it's much more easier to just face you head on."