Chapter 17: Light can't shine without darkness

Brooklynn slowly lifts up her head glancing at the alarm clock for the billionth time. It's a quater till eight and it's time for her to start getting ready for school. Time passed by so slow and almost certain she didn't get any rest over the night. It doesn't even look like morning with dark rain clouds filling the skies. "I couldn't sleep at all last night. Sonny, why?"

The burnette rolls out of bed pulling out her uniform to change clothes. Luckily she isn't so sore as the pain could be worse. Their bodies seem to be able to take much more than normal people can withstand. She does have a deity dwelling inside of her after all.

Usually by now the ginger would've been hounding outside her door. Rushing the girl to hurry up but this morning it's nothing but silence. Fully getting dressed she grabs her messenger bag. When opening the door a canvas falls over of a familiar setting. "Huh? This is my picture. Sonny still drew it for me..."

Shooting a glance at the room next to her and hesitates for just a second to knock on his door. Remembering his cold gaze sends a chill down her spine, and forces her to continue past it down the hallway. On the otherside stands Sonny still in his pajamas with his back against the door. When hearing her footsteps leave he sighs flopping back down on his bed.

...

The time the first period bell rings Sonny is nowhere to be seen. This proof alone he isn't coming today, though she has no idea what to have done if he really did show up.

Second hour rolls around and her focus is completely nonexistent. Wondering was there a purpose for herself going since she can't seem to concentrate on her studies. On the other hand if she had stayed behind at the dorms would've stressed her out even more. At least this kinda works as a distraction.

Raylen arriving now greets her as she takes a seat. Glancing at the empty seat next to her in surprise. "Hey, Hira. Where is Sonny?"

"How should I know?"

"Oh, well it's just he is usually always with you."

"I...I don't know."

"Morning girls." Josef walks up with his signature glowing smile per usual. The two of them haven't had much chance to speak since the dance. But too much is weighing on her mind today to feel awkward about it. He also looks over at the desk beside her with a raised eyebrow. "Sonny is absent today?"

"Yeah."

"That's odd. Until now he's had perfect attendance so far this year." Her hands ball tightly flashbacks of yesterday resurfacing once more. She doesn't want to think anymore about him right now. The blonde eyes narrow at the burnette and then he simply shrugs. "All well. I'm sure he'll be here tomorrow. I hope you two have a good day."

The prince going towards his desk and a boy and girl talk exitedly in front of them. "I'm telling you, I'm going to be the one to discover the Felixa's true idenity!"

"Rumors have it she goes here. How cool is that!" The girl squeals and her face falls.

"Seems like the Felixa is going to be the talk of the school for a while," Raylen voices, as class starts up.

Brooklynn can hardly complete the assignments, and struggles to keep her mind from wandering. Just as the period is ending Josef walks up to her desk. "I want you to help me a little today when school ends. Come to the student council room right after eight period."

It's not so much a question than a statement taking his leave ahead of her. She has no idea what this is about, but it's better than going back to the dorms to mope. Grabbing her books to head for her third hour class.