Chapter 09 - Knowledge - Part 04

The woman in the robes backed up a step, relaxing her stance and her staff, but still looking at Kass suspiciously and angrily. "What is this?" she shouted over the pirates' bloodthirsty cries and the villagers' horrified screams. "What does that sign mean? I don't remember!"

"I was hoping you could tell me," Kass yelled back. So there would be no quick solution to the mystery, and it looked like this woman was in the same boat. In any case, she doubted she could hold off the martial arts master for another round. She was going to have to find some accomodation with her.

"Who are you?" the woman shouted. "Why are you trying to steal these innocent people? They've done you no wrong!"

"You know, I'm asking myself the same question," Kass shouted back. "My name is Kass Edmonds. I'm apparently a pirate and a slaver, but I'm not too happy about it. Maybe it's time to switch sides, though I'm not sure what I can do to help now." The ropes holding the nets full of people were starting to be pulled up to the ship, pirates standing on the handles that they had ziplined down and rising with them. "I guess I could shoot a few pirates for you, but that won't stop anyone from being taken."

As she was standing, trying to consider what to do, she heard Captain Jack's voice behind her. "Gods damn it, Kass!" She turned, and saw him standing at the bottom of the rope she had come down on, aiming a pistol at her. "I'll be blasted to the nine hells if I let you off that easily! You seem to have gone rogue on me, and so you're no use anymore, but you have to understand, if I let you leave my ship alive, I'll be the laughingstock of Skullhaven. Say your last words to whatever god you worship. It's time to end this."

As he cocked the striker of his pistol, there came a cry of "Kii-yah!" from one side, and the woman in robes leaped into view, bringing her staff around in a spinning strike around her head and down toward Jack's. He jumped back with catlike grace and, still managing to hold the pistol pointed at Kass, drew his cutlass with his other hand. It quickly became apparent that his skills with a sword were a near equal to the woman's with her staff; though he did not quite have her speed or agility, he met or dodged each of her blows and riposted quickly, keeping her on the defensive just enough that she could not overcome his parries.

Kass watched, trying to figure out how she could turn the tide. If she tried to shoot him, he might shoot back, and she might just as well hit the woman who was now defending her life. As she cast about for an answer, her eyes fell on the thick rope and the net at the end. Stepping to the side, she raised the bladed edge of her rifle and chopped down on the thick cable, severing it just at the junction where the net was tied to it. Then, gathering up the neck of the bulky net, she spun around and hurled it at Pretty Jack. He was quickly tangled in it, tripping and falling to the ground with a cry, dropping his gun. He held up his sword and grabbed a handful of net, trying to cut himself loose, but Kass walked up and pulled her pistol from her hip holster and aiming it wordlessly at him. The rope slithered and started rising back to the ship; apparently there was no mercy for a captured pirate, not even for the Captain. Jack dropped his sword, and with an almost casual motion, the woman swung her staff around and clubbed him over the head.

"My name is Sun Tai, by the way," she said to Kass. "I'm happy you made the right choice, but I hope you'll excuse me if I'm not in a trusting mood. Now what are we going to do with this trash?"

Ignoring the wailing of the grief-stricken peasants whose loved ones had been taken on board the now rapidly receding airship, Kass grabbed the weighted edge of the net and began to drag Jack along the ground toward one of the villagers' huts. Shrugging, Sun Tai strapped her staff to her back and stooped to help. Together they dragged him into the hut, Sun Tai muttering a quick apology to the concerned-looking farmer standing nearby. Working together, they pulled him up into a chair and tied his limbs to the legs and back with handfuls of netting. Then, Kass picked up a bucket of water that rested nearby and threw it in his face, waking him up from his concussed stupor.

Jack roared with shock and outrage. Shaking his head, water spraying everywhere, he paused and looked around, taking stock of the situation. An insolent grin appeared on his face as he looked up at Kass standing over him. "Well now," he said jauntily, "ain't this a turnabout. I appreciate the interest, girl, but my tastes don't swing your way; you'll have to find another source of entertainment."

"This is no laughing matter," said Kass coldly. "I want to know where your crew are taking those slaves, and I want to know now."

"SImplest thing in the world," he said merrily. "They'll be offloaded in Arc City. Always good gold from the slave markets there."

"I want names," Kass said heatedly. "I want locations. I want to know exactly how I'm going to break those people free."

"And what if I don't choose to give you that information?" Jack replied, an expression of mock concern coming over his handsome features. "You balk at taking slaves, but you'll countenance torture, will you? I doubt it."

Kass grimly unslung her rifle and held the bladed edge close to his face. "I may not be willing to outright torture you," she hissed, "but I'm not above doing a little cutting. Wouldn't want to ruin your pretty face, would we, Jack?"

For just a second, true fear flickered over Pretty Jack's face. Then he laughed long and loudly. "By all the gods! At least you haven't lost all of that pirate fire! Very well; for that alone you deserve my help. After all, it's not as if I'm going to lose my share of the gold!"