Chapter 06 - Faith - Part 04

The next day, Javier and Dunnistan sought out and introduced themselves to Sir Elric. After some small misunderstanding, they were disappointed but not surprised to learn that he was in the same boat they were; memory lost, with no more idea than they of how to get it back.

"Let's pool our knowledge," Dunnistan said, "in hopes that we can figure out a little bit more about the situation." He started pacing, as was his wont. "This state is a monarchy, a feudal kingdom ruled by King Lorris with the aid of his loyal nobles, knights, wizards, and priests. It must be small and centrally controlled, without a standing army or a large police force, otherwise these Shadowfiends would not have been able to penetrate so close to the castle without raising an alarm."

"King Lorris claims demesne over many nearby lands," Sir Elric supplied, "but I have heard tell from my brother knights of many a strange and perilous creature that roams the countryside, which we are forever being sent to track and slay. Too, there are many races within not a few days' ride which rule autonomously over themselves - Dwarves to the west, Elves to the east, and Orcs to the north. They trouble travellers and refuse to pay taxes to the King."

"Good, this is good!" Dunnistan exclaimed. "Second point, this land is apparently protected by an invisible spirit called the Light God. Father, you had best tell us what you know about how this being protects the land."

Javier nodded. He had woken early in the morning and talked with Bishop Kiara, troubled by the questions Dunnistan had raised the night before. "The Light God protects the people of Rohm, indeed of the whole world, through the agency of His priests," he said. "We are given the power of healing wounds and diseases, of smiting unnatural things such as Shadowfiends and the undead with holy light, and bringing sinners and evildoers to repentance by placing the weight of their sins fully on their conscience. Too, there are many rumours and tales of miracles wrought by the Light God in the surrounding towns without the aid of a Priest, in which those close to death have been saved by a mysterious force. But perhaps even more importantly, the Light God cares for the souls of the righteous, and when their mortal shell is gone, they are judged according to their works in life. If they have been upstanding and moral people and secured forgiveness for their sins, they are gathered up by the Light God to join Him in the beautiful Kingdom of Light, where they will suffer no further ill or peril. If they have not yet learned the lessons of life and have done ill to their fellows, they are born again into this world of suffering and tears."

Dunnistan puffed out his scruffy moustaches. "Be that as it may," he said skeptically. "What of these Shadowfiends that threaten the kingdom so direly? Have either of you been able to find out anything about them?"

Sir Elric folded his gloved hands together. "It is said that the Fiends come from far to the south, a dark and terrible place called the Shadowland."

Javier nodded. "The Shadowfiends are servants of a being called the Shadow Lord. It is the enemy of the Light God and all that is good and holy. They have been at war since the beginning of time, but the Shadow Lord is imprisoned and can influence the world only through its twisted agents, its demons and evil cultists. If the Shadow Lord is ever set free, its foul depredations will ruin this world and even those beyond. The attack on the castle was surely an attempt to desecrate the Chapel of the Light God which rests within, a powerful holy site maintained by my order."

"I see." Dunnistan stroked his beard. "We must do our best to learn more about this place we find ourself in. I must apply myself to re-learning the magic which is all that makes me of use to the King, as I am old and feeble now. Sir Elric, I presume you have training and knightly duties you must perform?" The big night nodded, clearly troubled by what he had heard. "And Father Javier, you must attend to your flock and care for the, ah, spiritual needs of the people of the castle and town. Between these duties, ask the people around you any questions you can think of about your past, the kingdom, and those who live within it. Seek out any clue as to what these tattoos mean! We must meet regularly to keep each other up to date on our progress."

Javier returned to his cell, washed his face, and prepared to take his lunch with the other Priests cloistered in the complex surrounding the Chapel. Before he did so, he walked into the chapel and prayed before the shrine of the Light God.

"Great Father, please help this humble servant in his hour of need," he whispered. "I am lost in a terrible maze. Surely you can give me some clue, some sign as to how I shall find my way?"

As he knelt, Javier was suddenly seized by a feeling of intense vertigo. The vitality seemed to drain from his limbs; his heartbeat slowed and he felt faint, as if he were slipping down into the depths of a dark hole. "Great Father, save me!" He cried, grasping for calm and serenity despite the feelings of dread and disorientation that gripped him. He fell to the ground, his body feeling so heavy that he couldn't move. Just as he was about to lose consciousness, a feeling of warmth and light bloomed in him; once again, he felt the overwhelming rush of being enfolded in the arms of something far greater and more powerful than himself. His heart beat faster and faster, and he was shocked by a jolt of adrenaline. The feeling of his life slipping away receded, and he lay panting on the floor. "Thank you," he panted as he climbed unsteadily to his knees.