Chapter Three - Criminal

ابدأ من البداية

"You're one to talk!" I said as I struggled against her hold. "You look like you dived into a bush and hoped for the best." I lied. I liked her almost-dress over her suit. She just laughed at me. I hate being laughed at. It made my chest and gut hurt and turned my face into a campfire. It might be the only thing I actually hate.

"Let the Typless go, A-llex." The tall one finally spoke. I couldn't see his face but I could hear the annoyance in his tone.

"I have a name!" No, I'm not supposed to share any information about myself. I won't give it to them... But they could have at least asked.

"Nobody cares, blank." A-llex said, loosening her grip on me. "Why should I let it go? It shouldn't be out here."

"They don't pose a threat. You don't need to use force unless there's a threat. There isn't one." I couldn't tell his mood any more, annoyance replaced with nothing.

"It's a typeless! They're wildcards, Ze-dric. You know this."

"I don't care. Let them go."

"Normally you wouldn't care." Finally, she got off me, skipping to Ze-dric's side. "What's so special about it?"

"Nothing." He said as I pushed myself off the ground and stood. I'm going to have to wash my clothes now. Thanks mean lady, I so love washing clothes.

"Hit first, ask questions never, much?" I sighed out as I brushed the dirt from my side and pretended I wasn't in pain. When I looked back up I noticed just how dead set Ze-dric was on not taking his eyes off me. Did he think I was going to bolt once he looked away? Well, I probably would but still!

"Sometimes you have to." She shrugged, pushing her long waves around. Something about her looked familiar. Was it her facial features? Her height? She looks the same height as me. It can't be her coloring. Even if her skin fell on the darker side for forest elves, it was still pale. I knew no one like that nor did I know anyone with hair such a light shade of yellow. It was almost white. But at the moment it was also damp looking and she looked fresh. Was she just bathing? My eyes lit up and I grinned at her.

"You were the one singing!" I pointed at her as if accusing her of a crime.

"I- Yeah? So what?"

"You need lessons." I didn't like insulting her but I had to try and distract them. "Lots of lessons."

"How dare you! I'll have you know that I'm very well known for my voice. Right, Ze-dric?" He didn't look away from me and didn't respond to A-llex. It was like he didn't hear her. "Hello, Ze-dric?" She waved her hand in front of him and he just swatted it away.

"Calm down, A-llex." He responded.

"I am! You're just being weird." She looked back at me for only a second before looking back at him. She did a few more times in a span of a couple seconds, looked around her as if someone might be watching us, then grabbed Ze-dric's arm and pulled him close. For a second I thought he looked startled. "Come on, Z, sweety. Let's just tie it up and take it back already."

He stared at her, finally looking away from me, then at where their arms met. "What are you doing?"

"Can't I touch my boyfriend?"

"You never call me tha-" He was cut off by me. I sprinted away as fast as my legs could take me. I can't have them take me back. I can't. I have a job to do!

I could hear them following behind me. This isn't good. The girl might not catch up but that tall guy could probably out run a winged leopard. How can I get the advantage?

Just as I was losing hope, my calves started burning, and the footsteps were only feet behind me, I saw a thin looking tree branch in front of me, just high enough for me to reach with my hands held high. I slowed down enough for him to think he got me and pushed the branch out as I sped by. It whipped back harder than I thought it would.