Chapter 8 - Comeradery

"You need to prepare yourself and whatever you need for excessive injuries. Deidara and Sassori are in a very heated battle that I'm expecting many injuries to be the result of.", Pain said coldly, with very little emotion.

Pulling yourself together as Itachi had instructed, you gathered your immediate medical supplies and awaited for the duo to return. Kakuzu joined you quietly, only formalities being spoken between you two. Not very much longer after, Deidara followed suit alone. He brought with him two blown off arms which complimented his seemingly endless wounds as well as the news of Sassori's demise. It was a solemn thing to discuss, but it was what it was. You and Sassori were not close by any means, but he was a supposed comrade which made the news of the death hold a very sad aurora.

With the helping hand of Kakuzu, you were able to have Deidara back to working condition and deciding that it'd be best to get back to Itachi as soon as possible with the matter at hand, you put your medical supplies away and retrieved steel sound blocking chakra beads in order to keep yours and Itachi's potential conversation confidential.

You knocked on his door and once it was opened, you went inside and immediately placed the beads along the walls. He recognized them since they are most formally used by the Leaf, giving him a sense of nostalgia.

"How did you figure me out?", you asked as you sat yourself down on his desk chair.

"We're in a similar situation. The look in the eyes of your young comrades gave you away to me, almost immediately... I too, have been given that same look of utter disgust and betrayal.", he sat himself down across from you on the edge of his bed.

"But if you were able to figure me out, then who's to say that nobody else has.", You leant forward and put your head in your hands due to stress.

Itachi stood and made his way behind you, placing his hands on your shoulders and rubbing gently. He knew the trials that you were facing and understood what could happen to you given your selfless act to a village that had betrayed him long before your time.

"You must have hope in knowing that all will turnout in the end and if it doesn't, then it isn't the end. That is the one thing that will help your chances to succeed.", he said lowly.

"You're very wise Itachi...", you sat up and leant your head back to look at him, "But I'm not as strong as you are. You gave it all without a second thought because you were confident in your decisions. I am so indecisive about every little thing and I fear that once day it will mean my demise."

"Not necessarily. I beat myself up over the situation for a long time and weighed out all of my options multiple times through... to this day I am still learning ways to cope with what happened. I can only hope that you'll never have to experience the same. It's hell on earth bearing such a burden.", He said whilst spacing out for a moment before leaning back on his desk.

"I admire your selflessness. Even if you struggled with the decision, you whole heartedly decided that what you were doing was for the greater good of the entire village, not just you or your family.", you turned to look at him, "Not to mention the fact that you've been protecting the Leaf all this time."

"I worry that you're already being used as a pawn so I highly suggest that after this mission is over you resign your position, no matter what that position may be.", he smiled slightly, "I may have made a self sacrifice, but I'm constantly riddled a monster for it as well as my younger brother who had nothing to do with it all... I don't want to see you live through what I have. It truly degrades ones quality of life."

"Itachi... I really don't know what else to say other than that I'm sorry. I wish I could go back in time and fix things...", you said, your emotions causing tears to well the more that you thought of Itachi's past.

You were ripped from your thoughts as you felt warm fingertips on your forehead.

"Don't worry about that. Just us sharing this bond is enough for me... I can't tell you how long it has been since anyone has given me their sincere time of day.", you glanced up to see that he held a much more welcoming expression than before, "You're looking quite fatigued... Go on to bed, we'll talk more later."

"Goodnight Itachi.", you have him a hug that he surprisingly reciprocated.

By prowess alone, you two had learned a great deal about each other and came to realize that you weren't all that different. This would come to be a tie that would bind the two of you. Itachi never would have guessed that he would enjoy someone else's company so much, considering that he'd always told himself that he disliked any type of company. Other than Kisame whom he'd had to have direct contact with, he wouldn't have saw himself giving away his emotions nor his thoughts to someone else so easily and naturally. It had been almost 18 years since he'd last felt comfortable enough to momentarily forget his current position.

He'd been told to never murmur even a single word about the truth and that if it ever was put into someone's mouth, he was to murder them as well but something was willing him to think the complete opposite of you. He felt a sense of sincerity when you explained that you knew his past. He felt down right strange if he were being honest but at the same time, he didn't want to fight it.