Chapter 9 - Sasuke

In between missions and saving the lives of Jinchuuriki's, all of your attention went to Itachi. For the last week or so, you hadn't left his side. If at anytime he had to depart on a mission, you would sleep in his room in order to feel some sense of peace. The bond that you two shared had become fearsome and strong, making it much more detrimental than it originally had been.

Currently you were humming a song to yourself whilst replenishing your leg pouch. All was well in the world until you heard a knock on your bedroom door. You told the person to enter and immediately became giddy when Itachi was the one to walk in. That was cut short however, by him embracing you. This immediately let you know that something was off. Itachi very rarely showed this much physical affection, unless it be at night when it was just the two of you in a comfortable sleeping position. He furthered the shock by lightly laughing, again something that he rarely does.

"So you know my brother Sasuke?", he said after a moment of taking everything in.

"Yeah...", you replied, perplexed that he was bringing up his kid brother.

"As I'm sure you saw in my memories, I told him to harness a hatred for me that was stronger than anything else he'd ever felt... I met up with him and he has undoubtedly done as I had asked.", he paused and turned his gaze to the wall before the both of you, "He was prepared to kill me and has expressed that he will, no matter the circumstance."

"I'm sorry Itachi I-", you were speaking until he cut you off.

"Don't be. It's exactly what I wanted.", he replied, his words feeling like daggers.

"W-What?", your eyes welled at the thought of him being murdered.

"I'm very sick, (Y/N). If he doesn't kill me, my illness surely will. I don't think it'll be much longer anyway. Him killing the 'criminal' will wash the Uchiha name of its profanities and Sasuke will become a hero of the Leaf. He and his future family will no longer have to bear the burden that comes with being an Uchiha.", the more the talked, the more tears that streamed.

You were beyond shocked and paralyzed by his words. You'd never came into contact with someone who's life was filled with so much sacrifice, pain, and suffrage. Not to mention that he was still a respectable and kind man. It wasn't fair that someone like him had to go through the lot that he had, just because his clan affiliation was Uchiha.

"You may be wondering why I'm telling you all of this, but I don't even really know myself... perhaps it is because I understand that this little bond we have is something worth keeping from the demolition of my fate.", he now turned to you and smiled softly.

"Itachi, it doesn't have to be this way. Let me heal you... maybe then we could figure something else out for Sasuke.", you tried to bargain with him to no avail.

"If you heal me of this disease, the disease of my life will slowly eat at me worse than this... Please don't mourn me, for I am nothing to beat yourself up over... when the time comes, I wish for you to think of our little talks. They may be few, but I'll always cherish them like I will you, (Y/N). You are the first person to show me a will of kindness, even after knowing what I've done. I can feel the will of fire within you and I must request that when I leave here in the pursuit of a hero, you get out of here and return to Konoha. Give them the information you have and don't ever return to this organization, for it will milk you for everything you're worth and that's something that I don't want for you.", the words really took a toll on you, seeing as you couldn't believe what you were hearing.

In all your days, you'd never been in the presence of such a glorious person. You were fully sobbing in awe at him. He comforted you as best he could and decided that it would be best if you had some rest. As he leant back on the bed, he pulled you with him and tucked you in-between his arm and side, hugging your head to his chest and stroking your hair. The feeling of being so close to him was so magnificent but he realization soon set in that this could possibly be one of the last moments you'd ever have with Itachi. An unbearable feeling of sadness soaked through your soul but you had to remind yourself that everything happens for a reason and whatever the reason may be, Itachi was turning out to be a blessing.

"If I may ask a small favor of you, I request that you please watch over my brother and his teammate, Naruto.", Itachi said softly once your sobbing had ceased to small whimpers.

"Of course but... Why Naruto?", you asked, curious as to what connections he could possible have with the boy.

"I spoke with him just after seeing Sasuke. He proclaimed that he would save my brother and that he still considers Sasuke a brother despite all that he's done. I can tell that he will do whatever he can for my brother... I wish for the both of them to live lives free of stress and worry unlike I have.", he moved his hand to your back and began tracing patters, "I wish for you to have a life free of those things too, but I fear that you've been drug into a pissing match with Konoha and the Akatsuki. They will use you as a pawn if you allow them to, so I desperately ask you to step down from your position once you return... and live a fulfilled life for me."

"I'll do my best, Itachi.", you wept once more at how dire the situation was turning out to be.

"Alright... time to rest.", he almost whispered the last part as he stood to turn off the lights and turn on the fan.

He allowed you to get comfortable then followed suit behind you. You two laid comfortably for the rest of the night, only moving to switch positions or go pee or to go get a snack. You would come to cherish this moment and for the time being, it was enough to keep you going.

"Blessed be Sasuke.", you thought to yourself, "To be loved so dearly by someone so wonderful."