Chapter 18 - New Beginnings

Peter

Peter stared down at the wiggly person in his arms. The little pink mouth opened in a yawn too precious for words. Large blue eyes blinked and looked up at Peter. Peter smiled.

"What do you think Uncle?"

Peter looked up from his stare down with his new niece. His sister Chloe smiled at him. "I think you've outdone yourself. I didn't know they came this beautiful. You hear stories about the not so precious ones." Peter ran a finger down the side of the little ones face. "But you sure are a beauty, aren't you? I bet you are going to be a very clever girl. Just like your mum."

"Flatterer. I'm a right mess. How're you doing?"

"I'm fine. You shouldn't be worried about me. You've got plenty to focus on now."

"I'm your sister. It's my job to worry about you. You've been working long hours. I can tell you haven't been sleeping."

"I'm fine. Everything is okay. I just had a rough start stepping into father's place. It should be you. You've always had the head for numbers."

"Yes, but you have the heart. That's why we make a great team. Give it a few months, and I'll be popping by the office, little one in tow."

"That'll liven up the place."

"I was worried about you, so I badgered Dean. He was surprisingly tight-lipped at first. But I managed to get it out of him. Poor lad is too easy. Just start talking about baby stuff this and pregnancy stuff that, and he gives in. So, when were you going to bring round this girl?"

"I've been on the receiving end of one of your inquisitions. I'm not surprised he caved. Eh, well at this point there isn't anyone to bring. She left." Peter adjusted the baby as he tensed a little bit.

Chloe sighed as she shook her head. "Well is she coming back? Did you tell her you wanted her to stay?"

Peter looked away from Chloe's pointed stare. "Not in so many words. I'm waiting to hear from her. I didn't want to pressure her."

"Peter, you can't wait forever on these things. Sometimes you've got to go and grab life and take charge."

"I'll bear that in mind."

Peter looked down as the baby started to rub her face against his chest. "Oh, I believe she is searching for you. Here you go little one. Safe back with your mum." Peter gently placed the baby into Chloe's arms. He patted his sister on the arm, and started to walk away. "Well I'll leave you to it."

"Peter?"

"Yeah?"

"Sometimes you've got to fight for a bit of happiness. But it's worth it. If this girl is worth it, don't wait too long."

Peter nodded and started to walk out. His brother in-law Jack nodded at him as he passed through the doorway. A mug in one hand, and a plate of food in the other. Peter glanced behind him at the cozy scene. His heart clenched a little as he left the happy new parents.

 His heart clenched a little as he left the happy new parents