Chapter 7 - Foreigners Unite

Bea

A horse. This is how I'm going to die.

Bea tugged at her jacket, she missed her warmer coat with the coffee stain. She looked around at the large group of tourists going for an afternoon tour on horseback. Aside from a couple who appeared to be on their honeymoon, the guy from the plane, another fellow with a nice camera, and 20 plus people speaking Mandarin, Bea was the only one not on a horse.

Strange. I wonder if they're all here together like a reunion or some type of convention? Concentrate. Time to do this. Come on Beatrice. Just do what the guide said. Easy peasy.

Bea looked up at the enormous brown horse. A large dark eye stared down at Bea. The horse flicked his head and snorted.

"Alright big fella, just a sec. Hold your...er, nevermind." With great care, Bea put her foot in the stirrup and grabbed the saddle as she hoisted herself up and over.

Their Turkish guide looked over, happy to see his last tourist in her saddle at last. "Ready, yes? Off we go. We ask all stay in a group at least of two. Or more if you wish. But at least two. Follow me please."

Bea's horse shifted as Bea tensed.

Pair up? Ugh...I feel like I'm in school again. Gonna get picked last.

She watched as the couple rode off. The Mandarin people quickly grouped up and followed the guide.

"Guess that leaves us at the tail end huh?" The man with the camera around his neck grinned, bright teeth contrasting with tan skin.

Bea shrugged as she looked at the two guys. Camera guy slouched forward casually, while Plane guy carefully guided his horse closer towards Bea's horse. "Yes, I suppose it does."

"Well now, since we are going to be tour buddies, we should probably introduce ourselves. Names Ty Larson. Photojournalist, camera for hire, I'm a Leo, and I'm on a half vacation/half work trip." Ty looked expectantly at Bea, then Plane guy.

Bea sighed. With what she hoped was a pleasant expression she replied, "Hey, I'm Bea."

"Bee, like the bug?"

"No, not like the insect bee. Bea as in Beatrice. I'm on a non-work related trip. Everything else is none of your business."

Plane guy started to chuckle.

Ty's dirty blond brows furrowed. Then a quick smirk came out. "I like you. You're funny." Ty turned to Plane guy.

"Eh, hello. I'm Peter. I'm just on holiday."

"Whoa there buddy. Careful with that fancy voice. You're gonna put us average guys out of business. You two travel here together? You don't really sound like it...but hey, who knows." Ty laughed and sent a wink in Bea's
direction, as he led his horse along the path.

Bea looked down at her grip on the reins, then met Peter's eyes. "Nope. Not here together. Tossed together a few times though. How's your arm? Try any other wrong doors today?"

Peter led his black horse alongside Bea's. The pair followed close behind Ty's horse.

Peter pulled back the arm of his jacket. A strong pale forearm, dusted in freckles and light brown hair, was held out. "Eh, not as much damage as you had hoped? Yeah, I've tried my best to avoid any other wrong doors. I think the one was excitement enough."

The guide halted his horse at their first stop. As he talked about the amazing landscape and how the "Fairy Chimneys" were formed, the honeymooners gravitated towards Bea's group.

"Isn't this exciting?" The recent bride whispered to Bea.

Bea nodded half-heartedly. Focus divided between the guide and keeping her horse still, Bea missed the short conversation between the groom and Peter.

"Oh my gosh! Did you hear how he said that? Absolutely adorable!" The bride whispered with a loud voice to her husband as they moved their horses on.

Bea looked at Peter. His neck and ears a light pink. Brows pinched, he stared straight ahead at the guide directing tourists.

With a light touch, Bea pulled on her reins. Her horse shifted closer towards Peter's.

Bea's eyes strayed to the landscape. The outcropping of Fairy Chimneys against an endless bright blue sky, caused Bea's hand to itch for a pencil.

This would make a wonderful spot to draw. Too bad I'm on a tour. And a horse. That would make balancing my sketchbook difficult. Well, there's always pictures.

Bea pulled out her camera, and framed her shot.

"So, should I be bothered that you've yet to gush over my voice?" Peter whispered.

Bea's hand slipped, shot lost.

Bea adjusted her camera again, and took the picture.

"I try not to gush as much as possible. It's not good for a person's health, you know."

"Brilliant." Bea looked at Peter. His blue eyes crinkled as he chuckled.

"Come on tour buddies! Groups moving. Bea why don't you come over here sweetheart? Heard there's some great shots coming up on this side."

Bea rolled her eyes as she looked at Peter once more, then rode over to Ty. Bea could hear the sound of Peter's horse following.

Ty sat on his horse, camera raised. Above their heads, majestic stone formations stood. Rough holes, perhaps of forgotten homes, appeared in some.

"Oh, this is great. Look at how the light is hitting it." Bea tried to angle her horse and steady him. With a snort and flick of his ear, her horse tried to steer her back towards the group. "Come on big guy, just stay still a moment."

Bea grabbed a limb on a nearby tree. She looped her reins around it. Before either man could offer assistance, Bea climbed out of her saddle and onto the tall scraggly tree. Faster than she could register, the portion of tree she stood on snapped. Bea slid down the side of the tree, and onto the sandy ground, a rip and hard thud heard.

"What the...Are you ok!?"

"Don't just stand there, go grab the guide!" Hands gently shifted Bea.

Bea stared up at the clear blue sky. Aside from the painful ringing in her head, and the wet snout of her horse sniffing for life, she didn't mind laying with her head in Peter's lap.

I don't think this is what they mean when they say, "falling for someone"...kinda hurts.

"What did you say?" Peter leaned down, face shadowed.

Aw, crap. Did I say that out loud?