Chapter 11

* The next day *

About midnight last night everyone crashed after all the celebrations because of Duchess winning the Oaks. I was  proud of my girl. She shocked everyone and, surprisingly, beat the horse of the year. 

My email was blowing up about how the public isn't satisfied with Duchess beating Emily yesterday, and by public I mean everyone on the east coast who were die heart Emily fans. It was all over the news; it was everywhere. 

" Morning! " Mrs. Williams says coming down the stairs.

I smile, " Good morning. Nice to see a friendly face. " I say and take a sip of coffee.

" Never is everybody happy about anything. "

" Very true. " I say. She must have saw the stress in my face.

Your two fillies could always have a rematch at the Susan's. "

"Yeah that's what everyone wants, but I wasn't planning to have Duchess race in the Susan's, " I moan, " Everyone wants it because everyone here on the east coast is a Emily fan. It kind of sucks. You start a horse, born in the east coast, on the west coast; so every time you come home, people aren't like " Yay it's Duchess! " there like " Oh she is from here? ". Here home base is on the other side of the nation; therefore, every time we come home it's like we are in enemy territory.

" Hey, she beat Emily once. I know she can do it again. "

" But if she were to lose, everybody would forget about her and she would become the horse that had a lucky run. " I say.

" What about Emily? She lost once and she will probably bounce back. Every horse has a bad race. No horse is perfect, " She grabs a cup of coffee, " Just think about it. "

And I did think about it. I stared off into oblivion for a while thinking it all over. Then I grab my phone and call Nathan.

" Hello? " He says.

" Hey Nathan it's me Caitlyn- " 

" I really hope it's not that girl Nathan ! " Jack says cutting me off in the background. " You got lucky Caitlyn. " He says loud enough so he knew I heard him.

" Sorry about that, he's a bit mad at the world right now. "

" I can understand, only one filly could come out unbeaten, and it happened to be my filly. " I say feeling like the bad guy who brought the world down for two owners of a champion filly.

" Yeah, yeah...it's the price you pay for racing, but what did you call about? " 

" Well, the admiring public isn't satisfied with the finish of the race, as in the public, I mean the whole east coast is your home base. They want a re-match in the Susan's. Preakness day. "

" Okay, I'll do it, for Jacks sake. " He says.

" Great! Can't wait to see your filly again. " He hangs up, and I smile about the phone call. I admired Nathan. He was kind and most importantly a good sport. I was surprised when I found out he wasn't married but Jack was. I thought it would've been the other way around.

 I get up and go to the barn to tell everyone the news.

" Guys! Meet me on the porch! " I yell into the barn doors. I walk to the porch and wait till everyone's there.

" What's up, boss ? " Mr. Jones says.

I smile, " We are going to the Susan's ! "

" Yes! " Pablo half yells in his Spanish accent.

" I'll start making preps today. " Mr. Jones says and walks towards the barn.

" Hey this could get her name out there for you know what. " Pablo says nudging my arm with his elbow.

" Oh, you know it! " I say and walk back inside.

Mrs. Williams was now sitting at the dinning room table. " Susan's? " She says staring at the newspaper

" Susan's. " I say with a smile. She looks up and smiles. I grab my phone off the table and step back outside.

" Hello? "

" Rosie, we are going to the Susan's. "

" No way! I'll fly down tomorrow. I can't believe it. This time we'll beat that filly by a mile. "

" Watch it, Rosie. Don't gets your hopes to high and become cocky and get a big ego. "

" Yes ma'am. Note taken. " I smile when she says this.

" See you tomorrow. " I say and hang up.

I decided to go see where Josie scurried off too. Wherever it was, she seemed to be in a hurry. I checked barn A first and climbed the hayloft stairs. Halfway up I realized I was stupid for checking here, but I kept climbing anyways. I heard a ssshhhh sound.

" Josie? " I say. Nothing. " Well, who's up here? " I heard a rusell in the hay. I climb a stack of a hay and peek over to see my sister cuddling up with Austin. 

" When she leaves we can kiss again. " My sister whispers in a hushed voice. What was she thinking! I thought Austin liked me! My sister is two years younger than him, and they're kissing.

" Not today! " I say and jump down.

" Run! " Josie screams, but she was to late. I grabbed her by the collar and tripped Austin. I threw her to the ground, and yanked Austin to his feet and slap him.

" I BETTER NOT SEE YOU AGAIN! SO HELP ME I WILL GET MY 22 THE NEXT TIME I CATCH YOU ON MY PROPERTY! AND FOR YOU! " I turn to my sister after throwing Austin towards the stairs. " Pack your bags. You are going to your grandparents, and no more races for you! " I say and stomp towards the stairs. I stand on the porch till Austin is out of sight. Josie comes up.

" I'm sorry, Sis. I just love him, and he loves me. I know he's your best friend. I guess I was stupid to think you would ever let us be together. " She says walking to the front door. I say nothing and just shake my head. I hear her sigh and the door shut.

All I needed was air. So I decided to go to the barn and get Luna. As I tack her up I talk to her.

" What if Nathan was here? Do you think he would know what to do? Look at me, I'm thinking about him again. I bet he's 10x the man Austin was. Ugh, like I have a chance with him, " I sigh, " Forget about Austin, I never had a crush on him in the first place. " I get on her and take her to the trail which had jumps on it. We used it to practice cross country. I worked her: walked, jogged, trotted, and cantered her. She did amazing as usual.

When I got back to the house Josie wasn't there. Good I don't have to deal with her anymore. I go to her room to notice a lot of her stuff still in there. There was a note on the bed.

Dear Caitlyn,

     I'm so sorry for what I have done. I hope you can forgive me. I'll be back while you are in Maryland to collect the rest of my things. I still love you.

                           Love your beloved sister,

                                                                      Josie

That was sweet of her, but I still needed to not see her for now. It would be good for the both of us. That night I wrote out all the major races I wanted Duchess to race in to ease my stress and frustration. As I wrote them out I thought of Nathan, and his smile, and how if he was here, he would be telling me how stupid it was to put Duchess in some of these races. But one race he inspired me to do was at the top of my list and it read....