Chapter 5

Ring-Ring. Ring-ring.

" Ugh! Who in this world is calling me at 4:00 in the morning? I have another hour before I need to get up!" I stumble out of bed and grab my phone. " Hello. " I say in the most understandable mumbling voice I could do.

" Is this Ms. Caitlyn owner of Duchess of Winter? "

" Why yes it is. May I help you? " I say trying to sound professional.

" My name is Nathan. I'm one of the owners of the super filly Emily the First, and-"

"  I've heard about your magnificent filly! " I say with enthusiasm. " Only three starts and is already entered for the Breeders Cup! "

" Why yes. Anyway I was calling about a match race. "

" What d you mean? My filly has only one start. Though she is racing this saturday at Del Mar. " I say.

" Woah now. Don't freak. It's just everyone wants to see a match race between the two and I wanted to see if after the Breeders Cup it would be possible. "

" I'll make you a deal Nathan. "

"Oh Lord, I can't wait to here. "

"If Duchess wins at Del Mar this Saturday, I'll do the match race. "

" Really! Are you serious? "

" Yes I am. And I keep my promises. "

" Have a magnificent day and good luck this Saturday! "

" You too. " I say and hang up.

I yank on my jeans and change my tee-shirt. This news can't wait! What do I tell them? Make sure Duchess loses so she doesn't have to do the match race or tell them to kick butt so I can be a boss. Yes I know i said a boss. You have to have a legit horse to be a boss owner. I run down the stairs and almost fall on my face. Praise the Lord Jesus that someone invented handrails! I run through the house, pulling on my shoes as I ran and Ran to the barn. 

" Pablo, Casey, Josie! Get in here now!! " After I said it I felt bad for sounding demanding, but they came running. " Okay so if Duchess wins at Del Mar this Saturday we are off to a match race with Emily the First. " I say panting heavily.

" How long will the match race be? " Pablo says.

" I'm guessing a mile. The details haven't been worked out yet. We'll find out if she can do the mile Saturday. "

" Okay, I'll give Rosie a call. " My sister says.

" Thanks, Josie. You are the best! " 

" One question. Do we want her to win Saturday? 'Cause Saturday makes or breaks the deal." Casey says. I stood there for a second thinking it all over.

" I want her to kick butt on Saturday no matter what!! " I say and walk back toward the house. 

* Race Day *

"It's a bea-u-tiful day her at Del Mar racetrack where the turf meet the surf! Our top racehorses here today are Red Hot Untappable * (by Wildcat Red out of Untapable), California's Debbie *( by California Chrome out of Stopshoppingdebbie) and of course everyone is watching Duchess of Winter who shattered Wake Up Nick's record at Santa Anita. Though she's new everyone is looking at her great potential. She might end up like Emily the First who is dominating the field. There are rumors about a potential match race between the two super filly's if Duchess wins today. Though, we don't know if that rumor is true. Let's go down to the track. "

* Caitlyn's POV *

" Just ride her like always. If you feel comfortable enough, you can give her an extra push, but what ever you do, don't fall off or lose. " I stress to Rosie.

" Don't worry Miss. This filly is about to be famous. " She says.

" Riders Up! " We hear over the speakers. I give Rosie a leg up like always and we walk Duchess to the parade. 

* Rosie's POV * 

Now it was just me and Pablo. Caitlyn and the others had already gone up to the owners box. 

Right before Pablo unhooks the lead line he says, " Ride her like never before. "

I nod my head and smile. He lets me go. I notice that the horse was a lot bigger than the last race. They must have figured out a Quarter Horse wasn't the kind of horse for the job when it came to my big girl Duchess. I smile at this thought and give her a pat on the neck. 

When we get to the gate, Duchess is loaded in first because she tends to be the calmest until everyone gets in. We wait for everyone to be loaded in. She did absolutely fine until Red Hot Untapable and Calfornia's Debbie was loaded in next to us. She started pawling, throwing her head, and snorting.

" Easy girl. " I say, but she wouldn't calm down. 

The last horse was loaded in. I grabbed a chunk of her mane. Then the bell rang. Duchess burst to the front. I tried to slow her down but she wouldn't. She was going up gear after gear and I had no idea what was happening. This horse had to be half turbo jet to be running like this. This pace was dangerous. I checked behind me as we entered the stretch to see now one. Next thing I know we've crossed the finish line. A rider comes and gets us to lead us to the winners circle.

" I've never seen anything like that in all my years working here. " She says. All I do is smile shocked about what happened myself. When we get to the winners circle, the first thing I see is Caitlyn with the most cunning smile I've seen.

" Well one thing is for sure. You kicked some BUTT! " She says giving me a high-five.

" How many. "

" Time 55.09 seconds and by 25 lengths. " She says in the most serious voice in the world. I tried to speak but nothing came out of my mouth. One thing is for sure, my mouth is gaping open as wide as the Grand Canyon. This filly wasn't just a filly, she was a Super Filly.