It's... Christmas!

Start from the beginning

L wanders back through with a screaming Mello dangling from his ankles like a very excited apple on a tree. "You don't know how to make tea?"

"At least I can make beans on toast!" I bribe.

L rolls his eyes. "You're mental," he murmurs, as though he can't believe it himself.

L pours the boiling water into the teapot and swirls it around whilst holding Mello in his other hand. 

The child in question has his arms folded crossly as his blonde hair sweeps the floor.

"You know," I watch L as he dumps some teabags into the concoction, "if you wanted to clean the floors you shouldn't use children's hair."

"Yeah! Hear that?" Mello starts thrashing in L's iron grip again. "I have rights!"

"I will drop you," says L. "Anyway, I'm teaching you not to throw toys."

I stare at his sincere little face blankly. "That is terrible."

An evil smirk grows on L's mouth as Mello starts screaming about his nonexistent rights.

Remember kids, Mello has no rights.

Ok, I should probably save him, he looks like he's experiencing trauma.

I pick Mello's upper half of the floor. 

L's still holding his ankle as he squishes the teabags with a spoon with an apathetic expression.

"Uh..." I begin in concern as L drags us both across the kitchen towards the bin.

I panic.

He's not gonna chuck Mello in the bin, is he?

L opens the fridge instead.

"Can you both put me down?"

Oh, Mello is cross.

Mello is very cross indeed.

I drop Mello's head.

He dangles upside down. "L, PUT ME DOWN!"

I frown. "L, this is kind of child abuse..."

L gasps, he drops Mello onto the floor. "It is?"

I facepalm. "You dropped a child..."

L looks at Mello.

Mello looks betrayed.

"Promise not to throw toys again," says L calmly.

Mello grits his teeth. "I promise."

The detective looks at me blankly. "Ok, I promise I won't use such primitive disciplining techniques."

I grin because he's adorable.

wOah.

AdOrAbLe?

I mean...

YeaH, but...

That implies I love him!

...

Oh.

OHHH.

【L】

We all sit around the table with our tea and cereal.

Once we've finished our nutritious breakfast, we go into the other room to open the gifts.

First, Mello unwraps the hundreds of chocolate bars.

I bet he could SMELL them, just waiting to be devoured.

Then L gives him a small box.

Mello inspects it, possibly displeased that he can't sense any more chocolate.