chapter thirty-one: fatal?

Bella was rushed in as Tom answered as many questions as he could about Bella. Robert rushed in and over to Tom.

A few nurses and people recognized him as he answered the rest of the questions. A doctor came out and greeted Tom and Robert.

"Wilson family?" The doctor asked, holding a clip board.

Tom and Robert both stood up, and as they walked over, Robert whispered, "You aren't family yet, kid."

Tom blushed as the doctor spoke, "Ms. Wilson is fine, but she appears to have a mild appendicitis. This means her appendix has become infected and if we don't perform surgery now, it could burst and lead to an infection throughout the abdomen that could be fatal." He explained.

"Fatal?" Tom and Roberts eyes widened.

"Yes, so she's going into surgery right now. Judging by the condition her appendix was in, she'll be just fine with antibiotics post surgery." The doctor said.

"Thank you so much, sir." Robert shook his hand firmly.

"My pleasure, Mr. Downey." The doctor smiled and rushed away.

"It was scary, wasn't it?" Robert turned to Tom.

"What?" Tom looked over to him.

"Seeing her just fall, looking lifeless and what not. You probably thought she was dead." He said. Tom nodded firmly and sadly.

"Does she make you happy?" Robert asked with a sigh.

"So happy, Robert." Tom smiled.

"Please keep her that way, okay? I know we both know her very well, but I have a feeling she hides her emotions. I just want, well, you know, the best for her." Robert mumbled, sounding a little emotional.

"I'll do my best. I hope you know I really do love her." Tom sounded so sincere.

"I know, it shows in your eyes. I used to look at Susan like that." Robert smiled, daydreaming.

"You don't anymore?" Tom questioned.

"No, no, it's not that. It's just that, well, you'll understand when you're married. Young love is as great as it is now, but, as you get older with them. As much as you stay in love, you also become best friends." He said and Tom nodded.

"Have you ever thought about a future with Bella?" Robert looked up into Tom's eyes.

"Yeah, but if that were to happen, it'd be in so long. We've only been dating for a month or so." Tom rambled and Robert nodded.

"I'm happy it's you and not someone else." Robert smiled.

Tom's heart warmed at his statement as they waited for Bella to be out of surgery.

An hour or so later, a nurse came out.

"Visitors for Wilson?" She said.

Jacob, Tom, Robert, and Haz stood up.

"Haz, I'm sorry this how your visit started out. It's kind of shitty." Tom uttered as they walked back.

"It's okay, as long as she is. You better tell me all the latest news though." He uttered back.

Tom nodded and they walked into her room, seeing her body, frail and hooked up to IVs. Bella always told Tom how much she hated IVs.

"Hey kid." Robert whispered.

Bella's eyes fluttered open and she gave him a small smile.

"Hi." Her voice was a little off.

"You okay?" He held her hand.

"Mhm. That wasn't fun." She pouted.

Harrison flashed her a smile and she returned it.

"I have to go pick up the kids, you okay here with them?" Robert asked and Bella nodded.

He kissed her head and said goodbye before heading out.

"That was scary." Tom smiled and walked over to the side of her bed.

"You're telling me." She reached out and grabbed his hand.

"Does it hurt?" Jacob asked.

"A little, but I really just feel weak. Sorry this isn't a very good introduction." She looked to Harrison.

"I'm okay. Once you're well enough to get out of here we'll redo it." He reassured her.

"Damn Tom, is everyone you know this nice?" She looked to Tom who smirked.

Harrison laughed and Jacob looked to Harrison.

"Can I get him In & Out?" Jacob begged.

"Sure, just make sure he dips the fries in the shake." Bella shrugged.

They said their goodbyes and headed out while Tom stayed with Bella.

"I don't know how you manage to be in a hospital bed and still look so cut-"

She cut him off by pressing her lips to his.

She loved his warmth, his tongue movements, his embraces, everything about the moments when she kissed him.

"I missed you. Surgery seemed too long." She said after the kiss stopped.

"Am I really that cool?" He posed oddly causing her to smile.

His heart melted and she spoke. "Yeah, pretty much."

"Can I get you anything? Water?" He asked.

"No." She sighed.

"Well, just remember I'm gonna be here as much as possible until you leave, and after that I'll hug you a lot." He reassured her. Staying in a hospital really does suck, especially for Bella who doesn't like any medical stuff.

"Thanks babe." She smiled.

And he did just that, until Bella was all better and Harrison was having a great time. What can I say, he's a good multitasker.