Chapter One - Today is the great day

I woke up to hear little birds chirping outside my window. When I opened my eyes, light streamed in through it, and my dog Emma sat and looked out into the royal garden. Nelly, my other dog, was still sleeping in my bed. I stood up in bed and looked out. It was a beautiful summer day, pretty nice to ride in the royal paddock.

I heard knocking on the door, and welcomed my servent ,Gloria, into my room. I greeted her with a smile, a happy and healthy smile.

"How has your Highness slept today?" she asked, and smiled back at me.

"Pretty good, thank you for asking", I said in my roal voice. I hated talking like that, but I had to. Or atleast mom allways told me to be polite, not rude to our servents, who worked for us voluntarily.

As Gloria came into the room, Nelly had woken up and walked to greet Emma.

Then I heard someone else come into my room. It was my second servant, Anna.

"Good morning, Your Highness", she said.

"Good morning", I said back and nodded at her with a happy smile.

While Anna made breakfast for me,Gloria made breakfast for  Nelly and Emma.

Nelly was a black labrador from America, and Emma was a golden retriever, of course, in a golden color.

"Today it happens, My Lady", Anna  as she put breakfast on my bed.

I obviously knew what she meant. It was my seventeenth birthday.

"Have you picked out a dress for the prom tonight, Your Highness?" Gloria asked.

"Oh yes I have....I mean of course", I replied as I took the teacup to my mouth.

Suddenly, it hit me. What time was it? Had I missed the ceremony? Was Mom mad?

"Anna?" I wondered when I swallowed the hot tea sip.

"Yes Your Highness?"

"What time is it?"

"It is a quarter to ten",Anna repleid, while she poured up a little more water for Nelly.

I could not swallow tea sip that I had in my mouth. It came as a shock to me,  what  Anna had said. The ceremony was at nine. So I was late for the ceremony, great. Now I certainly knew that my mother was angry.

Suddenly I heard running footsteps in the hall. My best friend Lilly runs into my room, and stops in the door way.

"Could you please get out?" 'she asks Anna and Gloria.

Anna and Gloria nodded, and walked out of the room. Lilly closed the door behind them and walked over to me.

- Have you lost your mind Lydia? she said and looked at me as if she was angry and surprised at the same time.

I just sat there quietly on the bed and looked down into the cup. Lilly was my best friend and I knew that she wasn't  angry, but she was worried. She knew how mom could react nowadays on things I did, that I shouldn't do. Since she got pregnant with my sibling, she had only bothered about it, and nothing else.

"No", I replied after a few long seconds. "You know that I havn't. And besides, it's not like the world is going to go under, just because I didn't go to the ceremony."

"Well, your world is going to go under", Lilly said and walked to my closet. "Come now, lets get you dressed".

I got out of bed and walked towards Lilly, who led the way into the closet with her arms. The closet was like a room. To the left, there were shoes, skirts, pants and leggings. To the right, I had dresses, both for weekdays, summer days and evenings.. Sweaters were also on the right side.

Then there were also sunglasses and hair jewelery, and at the end of the room I had tiaras of real diamonds and jewelry. Straight ahead was a large mirror, and beside it a small door that led into the bathroom, with a bath, shower and makeup.

"Come on", Lilly said as she walked into the closet after me and walked with quick steps to skirt the closet. "Go and take a shower so I choose something for you."

Lilly sounded normal and happy again, as if nothing had happened. She loved to choose clothes for me. She did not come from a noble family, as I do, but from a regular who worked in the village.

I went with quick steps straight to the shower, and showered for maybe half an hour. It was better to take a shower than to take a bath, because I showered quicket than I bathed.

When I came out, the clothes that Lilly had picked out for me where lying on one of the pink chairs. It was a light purple shirt and a black over shirt, a purple skirt and white tights.

Then she picked out a pair of purple and black bracelet and my favorite necklace that was a black leather chain and a diamond cross. The shoes were just as bright as the shirt, and they were summer shoes, and at the tip of the shoes, it was white leather.

Lilly had gone out of the closet so I could get changed in peace. I got dressed as quickly as possible, and walked out of my room.

Lilly was on her way to the closet with a pair of small diamond earrings. She gave them to me, and I put them on, then we went down to the small dining room, where Mom and Dad would surely wait for me.

All the way down,  Nelly and Emma went with us, but when they saw the garden they rushed into it and started to play with each other.

Me and Lilly went to the small dining room, and just as I thought, mom and dad where there. At first I did not see mom or dad, but I saw Carlile, our bodyguard and dad's best friend. I asked him how bad it was, by miming, but he only showed the way into the dining room.

When I came in, the first thing I saw dad's calm face, but it was always quiet. But then I saw my mother, and to my surprise, she didn't look angry.

"Good morning, sweetheart" she said  when I went up to her and kissed her on the cheek. The same I did with my dad, then I  and Lilly went, and sat down on the places we used to sit on. Lilly sat down on my dads side and I sat down on my mothers side.

"There will be sushi for starter and then cow meat for the main course", my mother said.

"Why don't we have sushi at the ball today?" I asked my mom looking ciouriusly at her.

"Maybe everyone doesn't like sushi", Dad replied." It will salmon at the ball instead".

I nodded. Wasn't mom angry with me? Why?

"Mom", I began. "I'm sorry I didn't show up this morning, I overslept and ..."

"It's ok  honey," she interrupted me.

"So you're not mad?" I wondered. 

"No, of course I'm not." It was weird, I thought. If it hadn't been my birthday, she had been furious. Or would it happen something special tonight?

"But lets forget abou that now", 'said Dad. "Enjoy your meal."

"Enjoy your meal," everybody repeat , and started to eat.