Saying Goodbye

The next morning, the James family did not speak. Mr and Mrs. James looked warily around the table. One son had failed to return back, even though he still lived at home. Ella lay holed up in her room with Francis, her parents pretended not to notice. But most disturbing were the Irish twins.

Aaron and Norma had always been there for each other. As the youngest, they were known for clinging to each other.  Aaron was barely six months old when Louisa noticed a familiar nausea overcome her at work. Sure enough eight months later, Norma Jean was born. People assumed that because Aaron was small for his age and Norma big for hers, that the two were fraternal twin. On more than one occasion, Aaron would be caught in the women’s restroom searching for Norma. Or Norma wearing her brother’s clothes and being mistaken as the third James boy.

They would school together, play together, even shared a room as they went through their nightmare stage.  But when Aaron hit puberty, thing changed. Aaron began to follow after his older brother and leaving Norma behind in the school yard. It was in early middle that Norma learned that were bigger differences between boys and girls than just what lay between their legs. Boys were faster runners. Stronger arms and legs. They would punch and shove, and Norma fell behind. Aaron became more rough as boys often do. Norma did not connect with her distant older sister.

Ella never liked the idea of having a younger sister. Even at two, Ella disliked the competition. It was easy to ignore Norma while she trailed along with Aaron. But by high school, Norma was budding, physically and mentally. Which meant more classes with upper classmen, so her social status grew as well. And Ella did what she had to do to keep her throne.

Norma never quite caught on to why her older sister felt the need to steer her away from social situations. Perhaps for her own protection. Norma had taken to track and sprints. It gave her slight muscles, but she was still tiny. Some of the athletes arms were the size of her calves. So Norma stayed away from her sister and drifted from her closest brother all in a span of two years.

Louisa sighed into her coffee thinking where she could have gone wrong. “I know these lst few years have been hard on her, but I thought Norma knew better. She’s following after Ella.”

Mr. James furrowed his brow and growled, “This is not her fault, Lou. That boy ain’t coming to this house until both I and Norma Jean get a full apology. Then I might consider not pressing charges.”

Louisa sat her cup down and fingered the handed, “Are you sure? Aaron will be heartbroken if Terrence loses his scholarship. That’s the boys only chance a school.”

“Lou, I expect this from our misguided son, but not you. Terrence is 20, Norma is 17! I don’t like him being round Aaron, let alone our  youngest. Louisa he touched her.” Mr. James dropped his newspaper and struggled not to crumple the op eds.

Louisa shifted in her seat and studied her coffee hard, “I think we should tread carefully. If she made a mistake…”

“No. I am not having that in my house.”

“Hun, it’s not that serious.”

“Anytime a man forces a woman in any way, it is serious, Louisa. Have you forgotten about my mother, what that son of a bitch did to her?”

“Clint’s your—“

“Damnit, woman. I said do not mention his name under this roof. My mother struggled her whole life. I will not allow our girls to be hurt. Not like that. Not ever. I’d rather die.” Mr. james gathered up the distressed fragments of his paper and used the scraps to mop his forehead. He tossed them into the recycling and left his wife.

“What happen to Grandma Alice?”

Louisa shuddered when she heard Aaron’s voice. “Nothing. Your father...well, he is sensitive. About your sister.”

Aaron turned and left the dining room. Louisa rubbed her own temples. She had hoped to sort everything out this morning. The older woman checked her watch.  It was a quarter to nine and Norma needed to leave soon. And just as she thought it a loud beep sounded from outside.

Louisa hurried to the porch, expecting her Michael. But there was no Michael, instead there was a medium sized Yellow Cab. Louisa turned her head to ask her husband whom they were expecting. She eyes drifted to the light scuffle of feet. Norma edged around the fixtures, clutching her personal belongs and eyes each breakable object with trepidation.  Once clear, she set her parcels down and dragged them about the door.

Louisa pulled on her wrist before Norma could clear the threshold. “You wanna tell me where you think you’re off to?”

“Right now a cab. After that the airport and perhaps another country.”

“You mind your attitude. We are going to the airports as a family.”

Norma grunted and pulled her wrist free, “I don’t need a family. I am old enough to take care of myself. It’s just a cab ride, then a straight short to Europe. What’s the worst that could happen?”

Louisa grabbed Norma Jean again. “Mama, I’m be late.”

“I want you to think about what this. I would be a shame for this trip you worked hard ofr to be ruined on account of me, right? Just imagine of Terrance feels.” Her mother gave Norma a pointed look. A sickening load settled in her stomach and her throat grew dry.

Norma bit the inside of her lip as swears lubricated her tongue. She pulled free one last time. “I can’t call you once I am over seas, and we’d not allowed personal computers.” In other words, don’t expect to hear from me anytime soon.

“When do you get back?” If Louisa caught the silent bit, she didn’t react. In the older woman’s eyes, a little time away was what Norma needed to grow up.

Norma scowled. “Maybe I’ll never come back. Ever.” She stepped off her parents’ porch and set her shoulders, determined not to look back. Yeah, I’ll just live in Europe all summer, even all winter, then I can attend to school in Japan after the New Year. I don’t need them. I am an adult now. A woman. Ima handle my own business.