Wrong Plane

Even as the tax cab pulled down the drive, Norma began to feel guilty. Like she always did. It was hard to break away from her one and only family. Norma scrunched her face. It shouldn’t be. Her family always mistreated her. Michael ignored her the first half of her life, Aaron abandoned her for his friends, Ella favored her popularity…mama and daddy. Norma sighs. They just want everyone to get alone.

“Ay, mami. Where you go alone?”

Norma glared at the cabbie and shrugged. “Japan.”

“Japan? Por que, all they eat is rice. You should go to my hometown. Bahia! Muito bonito! As praias, as comidas..eh, as meninas eh!” The man chuckled to himself.

Norma rolled her eyes. She didn’t understand his words. She studied Japanese for a reason, to go to japan, not some random village in Mexico. “I don’t speak Spanish.”

“Que bom. Boring. You should learn…”

Norma ignored him and stared out of her window. She didn’t care about his language, his brother back home or his daughter’s birthday party. Norma just wanted to get to the airport so she could kiss America goodbye.

Forty-five minutes, and several anecdotes from Paulo, Norma was finally at the airport. She grab her single carryon and purse. Norma did not hesitate when she walked in to the airport. She march to the ticket counter and printed her itinerary. Then she headed to the lockers. She picked the cheapest one that was rent now, pay later. Norma dumped her phone, wallet, and keys along with a scrap piece of paper. Norma pause, pulling the scrap out and reading it over.

This is it. This is your last day as plain Jane Norma Jean. Tomorrow you will be different; the beginning of a new person. This is a promise. You will change this summer. By the time you see your family in the winter, you wont even recognize yourself. People will think they know you, but they wont. Smile and be happy that you are becoming better. Better than all of them. You are free.

Norma placed the paper down and added her senior photo on top of it. The next time she stood before this locker, she would be an amazing cultured and successful international person. Just you wait.

“Ugh! Damn it! I can’t understand this.” Norma glared at her map and ticket. It was all in Spanish. The intercom interrupted her thoughts. She had been to three kiosk and even stopped a security guard. No one spoke English.

“This is an international airport. “ Norma groaned. She had an hour to get to her flight and she still could not make heads or tails of her map. Norma squinted her eyes. She saw her terminal, but the passage signs on real life just spun her in circles. Norma sighed and looked around. She spotted a lone woman at a kiosk.

Norma shuffled over and crossed her fingers discreetly. “Can you help me?”

“The woman blinked and looked around. “Ingles?”

“Yes, English. I need help. Can you tell me where this plane is?” Norma slid her finger over the map and shook her ticket in the woman’s face. The woman looked over and smiled brightly.

“Si, senorita. Usted….” Norma shook her head and waved the woman to stop. She turned around and bumped into the stranger behind her. Norma dropped all she had, her tickets and passport, on to the ground. “I am sorry. I am just flustered, hey!”

While Norma was apologizing, the stranger quickly gathered up her things and sprinted off towards a separate terminal. Norma groaned and took off in a half sprint. This fucking sucks.

The man as it turns was not hard to catch up tp. Every twist and turn, Norma matched him. She began to grin as she increases her speed. Her thief looked back a few times, probably in surprise. I’m gonna get you sucka! Norma braced her hands and blasted through a door that lead to the outside and landed on top of her runaway. A few well-placed punches and the man surrendered her belongings. The man happened to have quite a few passports on him. Norma grabbed the first dark blue passport and her itinerary. She gave the man a swift kick and walked back inside.

Norma pushed the loose curls back into place behind her ears. When her wrist passed her face, she blanched. Her watch read 8:45. She had fifteen minutes to find her plane. “Ugh! I hate this place.”

Norma ran, weaving in and out of the crowd. Her connecting flight for Italy had to be close by. It just has to be! Norma looked back and forth searching for Italy’s flag . Her rushing caused her to bump into another person. This man was in dark pressed slacks and a button down shirt. His smirk irritated Norma but he looked like he wasn’t offended, rather amused.

Norma stood, gripping her papers firmly, and brushed off her rear. She checked her watch and groan. She was going to miss her flight.

“Miss? You need help, no?”

Norma nearly jumped at the clear English the man spoke. She thrust her ticket at him and rushed through a summary of her airport adventure. The man grinned and held out his hand. Norma let her character drop and accepted his and gladly. It was soft and warm. Norma shivered. She quickly stole a glance at him and smiled. He must be on my same flight. I bet he is flying first class. Mmhm he smells good. Norma mentally checked her appearance. The airport did nothing for her hair. But her racer back tank top was Bodyarmor, so it had no wrinkles. She wore stretch denim capris and low profile trainers. I don’t look bad….Wait, girl stop!

Norma inwardly scolded herself. She was not Ella. She didn’t know this man from Adam. And she was in Europe to study electronic, not men. Norma stuck her chin and tried to ignore the smooth touch of her companion. Before she knew it they were at a terminal. It was almost empty. A woman in a dark blue dress began to close the door to the ramp.

“Wait!” Norma broke free and rushed the woman. “Don’t that’s my plane.”

The woman turned around. Her fully made up face frowned skeptically. Norma began to blush as the woman’s dress split open. Is this how all Italian stewardess’ dress? Norma back up and looked elsewhere, anywhere but the woman’s cleavage. Norma turned around when she felt a light touch to her lower back. Her companion spoke with the scantly clad stewardess and motioned towards Norma.

The woman raise her brow and smiled, similar to the look the man had given her before. She swayed over to the door and made a big show of opening it up. Norma pumped her fist and jogged passed. She thanked both and trotted down the ramp to the plane.  When she got to the end of the ramp it lead outside.

“Shit! No!” Norma scrambled down the small ladder and spun around before she noticed a plane to the left. There was a red, white and green color scheme to the aircraft.  That’s it.

Norma checked the tarmac before running towards the plane. It was smaller up close than she thought. She grinned when the ladder lowered itself down. Thank God! Norma took the steps two at a time. Once inside she exhaled and breathed deeply. She stepped forward through the curtain and her jaw dropped.

The décor caught her eye first. This was not the standard Boeing jet. The walls were a warm cream with matching velvet curtain. The carpet was carefully manicured and dark blue. Thre were six heavily cushioned seat. This must be first class. Norma strolled forward, she allowed her hands to pass over the premium leather of the seats. It sent shills to her spine. She had never been on a plane this nice.

There was a second curtain that divided the first half of the plane from the second. Norma picked up her pace. She was late enough, she didn’t want to delay any longer.

Norma parted the curtain and stopped. It was just as nice. Same cream walls and blue carpet. But there were no seat. There were plenty of passengers. All of them were women. None of the women were dressed fully. Norma swallowed hard. Wrong plane. She abruptly turned around to find her previous companion.

His smirk grew into a sickening grin. Norma shook her head and felt her breath catch. The man moved swiftly forward closing their gap.

“Ah.” Norma tensed, feel a sharp pain in her arm. She glanced down to see a thick syringe. Her vision blurred and a feeling of dread filled her stomach. “I hate shots.”