Prologue

||The Sinner ||

            Prologue → Deceased.

Digging his fingers through the dirt desperately and frantically, his lungs heaved dreadfully with exertion. His hands were inflamed from the rough, arduous struggle. Tiny heartbeats incessantly pulsing stridently within his head due to the pressure. Yet, he disregarded every painful sensation for the sake of surviving.

He wanted to live.

He didn't want to die, his resolve was scorching as it fueled his remarkable tussle to escape.

An odd disquieting sound akin to ghastly nails scratching against metal emerged out of his throat as he harshly coughed, vision dimming for an instant. Ensuing that was his mouth promptly replete with blood, the peculiar iron taste coating his tongue densely.

That, too, he paid it no mind.

There was solely one purpose he was resolute to execute and that was to liberate himself from the Abyss' sinister, tenacious clutches. He could feel its slippery 'hands' zealously endeavoring to wrench him back into its asphyxiating embrace, arms embodied of stygian thick mist possessing inconceivable strength threatening to break his body apart like a mere twig.

Whispering, hisses, and appalling screeches identical to a banshee's reverberated from behind him. From the bloodcurdling, atrocious Abyss. The eerie sounds and voices, not meant for a human's ears to hear, were ceaseless; seemingly interminable. They howled contemporaneously in a language which his brain didn't comprehend, intricate words of a furious tone coercing him to hear it out. To assay understanding it.

But, to no avail, he didn't understand them. However, he could definitely understand the sense of foreboding they projected, the chilling vibe emitting from them. Something—his instinct— was warning him to get as far away as was possible. Otherwise, he definitely wouldn't want to know the abominable consequences.

He didn't dare, not even once, to peer over his shoulder and see. It'd be preposterous.

His jaw set, he halted for a moment as sweat trailed down his face from his toilsome attempt to escape. He hauled himself successfully with a precipitous surge of strength out of the Abyss he was struggling to leave. Winded, he drew in a sharp breath as his limbs smarted from pain.

An indistinct murmur itched his brain;

"š̵͍̝͚̹́̏i̴̥͚̬̗͐͝ǹ̴̞̮̺̠͔̟̦̈͒̒͂͐g̵̢̛͇͚͆͋̏̃̔̈́͜ṳ̷͑͑͊̊͐͛̽l̴̯̊̂̀͆̌͊̏̋͋̒̅ȁ̵̡̧̞͓̹̥͆r̶̝͍̗͚̤͙͛͂̑͂́̅͘ï̴̡̞͉̹̞̣̘͍̑̽s̷̰̹̆͆̍̅̌́͝"

A demonic voice, a hissing like a serpent, both oddly merged; creating an utterly unique terrifying entity. It was roaring perplexing words thunderously, and it was deafening. He wanted it to stop.

Shivers roved across his body as he heard it. It wasn't.. pleasant. He winced as an acute prickle pierced through his mind, eliciting a groan from him. His ears were ringing from listening to it. The urge to to look, to see what was there, confusingly filled him. And, against his will, his head commenced to move. To rotate towards The Abyss.

It was controlling him.

It wanted him to see.

'No.. I must not..' he tried to fight it. 'I can't.. If I do..then..'

"Gah–!!" choking on his saliva as an abrupt scalding hot pain washed over him, he scrambled blindly away from The Abyss, resembling a madman with his frenzied movements. The distance he put between himself and it, saved him. It demolished the overwhelming control that thing had over him a second ago.