"We're here on the behalf of General Dahnay. Are there any other luggage which needs to be recovered from the plane?" One of the drivers questioned.

"No we have everything already in hand." My father raised his bag for emphasis.

"Very well, if you'd place them at the rear of the vehicle I'll begin loading them into the storage compartment." The driver said, before moving to the back of the truck.

"How about you just open the trunk and we'll do the loading ourselves," Ruby said, probably feeling every last hour spent on the plane.

"Very well." The driver nodded, and then trunks of the vehicles.

We piled our bags in and moved to enter the SUV's. When we were all in the driver closed the door behind us and walked around the car to get into the driver's seat. The car then pulled away from the landing strip and onto a private road that led out to a main highway. Even though we were on the outskirts of the city we could still see the beautiful lights of the Eifel tower from where we were on the highway.

We rode in silence during the short drive. We all had our reasons. The main one being, we were all too distracted by our own personal battles. Before we knew it the limo slid to a stop in front of a huge country styled home.

Being quick about it the driver jumped out and rushed around the car to open the door. He then went to the trunk to gather the bags, while we climbed the stairs that led up to an enormous wrap around porch. Huge white columns lined the verandah. Before we could knock the front door swung open. A tall distinguished man in a butler's uniform greeted us.

"Please, come inside. General Dahnay is expecting you all." The butler said stepping back to allow us entrance. Once we were all in, he directed us to follow him deeper into the house. We stopped outside a set of closed double doors.

"One moment, and I'll announce you to the General," The Butler said before he opened the door and stepped inside the room.

"Is he serious?" Antonio asked from behind me.

"Yes, afraid so. The Duchess believes in formality." My mother explained.

Two seconds later the butler popped back out into the hall leaving the door open so we could enter. Inside the room the General was not alone; there were at least ten men in with him already, all big, burly and in Ethiopian armed forces uniforms. The General was leaned over his desk studying a large sheet of paper that almost covered his desk. The soldiers were all huddled around him listening intently.

"Daddy," Mother said.

The General smiled as he walked around the desk to mom. Once he towered over her, he pulled her into an affectionate embrace.

"How are you, princess?" The General questioned, leaning back to look into mom's face.

"I'm well, daddy. As well as anyone could be under these deplorable circumstances." Mother responded with a tightening of her lips that was supposed to be a smile.

"You understand why your mother and I had to keep our distance." The General said staring down at my mother the way dad always stared at Miah and me when it was important that we understood him.

"No, General. I'm afraid she doesn't. Understanding went out the window when we put a child in the ground and didn't receive so much as a smoke signal from any of you." My father replied coming to mom's side.

"I will not have this conversation with you now, Gabriel." The General said dropping his arms to the side and glancing over at me.

"Kayla." The General greeted me with a nod.