⠀⠀𝟯𝟮. ❛ LIKE A HAUNTING FLAME ❜

Start from the beginning

     "Home?" Barry questioned, his breathing hitching.

     Cisco stepped forward, his eyes tearing up as he gaped at her body. "What happened?"

     Damon and Miles exchanged despondent glances. "She's dead." The MHTF Director confirmed, lowering his hand and everything seemed to freeze at those words.

     "No. No. Piper's the strongest person we know. She's not dead. She can't be dead." Cisco spoke, shaking his head in denial.

     Damon gulped, peering down at his friend's pale and still body, feeling an agonizing sob getting caught in his throat.

     "A-Are you— how—" Barry stuttered weakly, tears on the edge of falling down his face.

     "Do you have somewhere we can lay her down?" Miles asked, clearing his throat. Caitlin stepped forward, nodding weakly as she tried to stop her hands from shaking.

     After placing the purple speedster's body down on an operating table, the two strangers turned to face the group of people Piper had talked about every day since she came back to Earth-Four. Especially Barry Allen. The man she fell for while she was here.

     "What happened?" Harry asked, keeping his bazooka firmly by his side.

     Miles and Damon looked irresolute before glancing back at the tear-stricken faces. "During training this morning, I noticed that something was off with Lita. She was jumpier than usual and kept spacing out. She couldn't seem to concentrate on anything. Damon and I both tried to talk to her, but she blew us off. Snapping and telling us to leave her alone. So, we did." Miles explained.

     "Which we shouldn't have done," Damon cut in.

     "Why was she upset?" Barry asked hoarsely, his gaze locked on the woman he wanted more than anything to be by his side once again.

     Miles shrugged. "I don't know. What I do know, though, is that whatever it was, it was serious because she doesn't get upset easily. At twelve, there was a meta-attack downtown. She went to go stop it, but it was a trap. Whoever orchestrated it hacked into all the TV stations and broadcasted the whole thing for everyone to see. Savitar, a known speedster from our Earth, was destroying buildings and killing the police force. While trying to speed citizens out of the buildings nearby, Piper saw that Savitar was about to kill a little girl who had fallen in the middle of the street. She wasn't fast enough to grab her, so she shielded her with her body to keep the girl safe. Sacrificing herself." Walking over to the speedster, Miles moved her hair, pointing to a long cut that went straight through her body.

     "Savitar stabbed her with one of his metal spears extracted from his suit. There wasn't anything anyone could have done. It was too late when Damon and I made our way there with the Meta-human Task Force. Her heart hadn't been beating for three minutes, and there was no sign of the Speed Force in her system. I'm assuming that when he killed her, he also found a way to take her speed as well," the Director theorized, a frown pulling at the corner of his lips.

     Stumbling back into Cisco, Barry could feel himself becoming light-headed by the overwhelming news. Cisco noticed and pulled him over to a chair, forcing him to sit down.

     Caitlin sniffed, wiping away a tear. "Why did you bring her to us?" she asked, crossing her arms.

     Miles looked to Damon, nodding slightly towards the group. The dark-haired man narrowed his eyes and gulped, looking away. "Piper's told us about all of you. We know that your team is extremely intelligent and resourceful The only person we know who could bring Piper back is dead. So, I suggested to Miles that we come here and see if you all can help us bring her back." Damon replied, uncrossing his arms.