"Does it fit you?" she asked with a little laugh at my enthusiasm. 

"Just a second," I said, setting the phone down again. I slipped out of the pyjamas I was currently wearing and pulled the dress up. It fit like a glove, and it looked beautiful. "Oh Louise, it fits perfectly!" I said loudly and with glee. 

"Awesome Zo! I think you should borrow my black and white polka-dot kitten heels to wear with it, and your teardrop diamond necklace would look fantastic with it. You can come over and get the heels today if you want to."

"That sound perfect, Louise. I'll be there in fifteen minutes." I hung up the phone and moved over to my jewelry box where I gingerly picked out my teardrop necklace. My parents had bought it for me for my tenth birthday. I knew how much money it cost and how long they saved up for it, so it meant a lot to me. That they would work hard to get something this beautiful for me.

At that time, it was difficult for my parents as well because my younger brother, Joe, had just been born. I was a little skeptical of them having another child when I was ten years old, but I grew to like Joe and the fact that we were ten years apart. He was the cutest little seven year-old kid I knew. 

I carefully fastened the jewel around my neck, grabbed my black flats and headed downstairs to go to Louise's. Luckily for our friendship, Louise only lived a five minute walk away. She lived by a park and I was always jealous of her house because in the autumn, all the trees around it would turn a beautiful colour making her house look like one fit for a queen. I did spend a lot of time there, though, making it like my second home. 

"I'm going to Louise's!" I shouted as I walked outside. My parents were probably upstairs reading, and they didn't care where I was going anyway. 

The second I stepped outside, I started to shiver. It was incredibly cold and there was the smallest amount of snow on the ground. I wished there was more, but it made me happier to think that it could still snow more; winter was far from over. 

Even in the mere five minutes it took for me to walk to Louise's I felt like a popsicle when I arrived. Louise's mum was in the kitchen when I walked in and she smiled at me warmly. "Hello Darling, would like some hot chocolate? You can bring some up to Louise as well." She had obviously been awaiting my arrival as a tray with two mugs full to the brim with steaming chocolaty goodness was waiting for me. 

"Thank you Mrs. Pentland," I said smiling at her as I took the tray and walked upstairs to meet and consult with Louise. 

"You're welcome sweetie, and I love your dress," she added. 

"Thank you!" I called down before disappearing upstairs. Louise had two other siblings. A brother who was one year older than her and a younger sister who was 11. As I was walking to Louise's room I ran into Noah, her brother. 

"I'm sorry," he said as hot chocolate swooshed over the sides of the mugs and a few drops splashed onto the wooden tray. 

"It's quite alright," I said righting myself and getting over the shock of the blow. Noah was gone before we could say anything else. I walked up to Louise's door and knocked. She opened it right away with a shriek of glee that was so loud I almost dropped the tray. 

"That dress looks so much better on you than I could have imagined!! You are totally going to get Alfie to fall for you. This is the easiest one yet. Oh and thanks for the coco," she said taking her mug off the tray. 

"You think it will be easy?" I said with a bit of doubt in my voice. No boy had ever really liked me before, well except for this one kid three years ago. He was sweet, but I just didn't like him back. Other than him though, there was nobody. Louise seemed pretty confident in her powers to get people to like me, but I wasn't too sure, because they had never worked before. 

"Of course it will. Alfie is an arts nerd, and so are you. You both do the plays and everything, and you're both in choir. I don't know why you aren't already dating each other." She took another sip of her hot chocolate before setting it down and going to rummage in the closet for her polka-dotted shoes. 

"I guess that's true,"  I said with a smile, feeling more confident than ever. "Oh, there's one thing I should mention though." 

"What's that?" she asked tossing the shoes onto the bed next to me. "There you go." 

I ran my hand down the soft fabric before speaking again. "Alfie's in upper sixth." He was a year older than us and in one year he was going to be going to university. This meant that we didn't have much time to get him to like me, and as optimistic as I was about everything, I couldn't help that he would be like all the rest, telling me that he just didn't feel that way about me. 

"Not a problem at all. I can get him to fall for you in the next three months, then he'll be all yours until he moves away for Uni. The Louise Queen has got it all figured out," she said with a laugh. 

"Alright, Louise Queen, I really hope you're right about all of this." 

xxx