Snow Day

Peridot was unfamiliar with the cold, white fluff that humans called "snow". She had only seen snow one other time, approximately one earth rotation ago. From what she knew and saw, it was likely another form of water. She noticed that while it looked similar to "ice", there were differences. 

"Ice" was cold, but it was also clear and hard. Very slippery too, Peridot noted after she slipped. "Snow", on the other hand, was soft and fluffy. Though there was hardened snow, Peridot believed it to be a mixture of ice and snow.

"Lapis!" Peridot called out to her barn mate. Her roommate would surely know what this substance was! After all, Lapis could control water, and this was basically water. A few seconds later, Lapis appeared from barn roof, flying down to Peridot. "What is it?" Lapis asked. 

"Do you know what "snow" is?" Peridot questioned. Lapis looked confused, before noticing the white at her feet. "If your talking about this white stuff, I've seen it but I didn't know it had a name." Peridot looked at her in shock. "You seriously expected me to know what this was? Only nerds like you would know."

Peridot huffed. "I'll have you know I'm a certified Kindergartner. I'm, however, am not a Kindergartner for creating snow!" Lapis snorted and ruffled Peridot's hair. "Sure, dork." Peridot sighed. "Anyways, I researched this strange substance, and I found there are many things you can do with it! Would you care to join me?" Peridot asked, holding out a hand. 

Lapis smiled at her. "I'd love to, but what about Pumpkin?" Lapis asked. "Don't worry, I made sure not to forget about her!" Peridot ran back into the barn. She soon returned with Pumpkin, dressed in a little orange sweater. "Living organisms like Pumpkin need warmth to survive these low temperatures." She explained to Lapis. Lapis hummed in agreement, noticing the tiny green boots on their living vegetable. Cute.

Soon, the barn family was playing in the snow. Pumpkin was enjoying herself, rolling around and trying to catch the snowballs Lapis threw for her. Lapis watched in amusement as Pumpkin happily tried to catch one, only to realize that the ball had disappeared. She was waiting for Peridot, who had gone back to the barn to grab "a very important object". Lapis couldn't help but wonder what Peridot had in store for them this time. Hopefully, nothing that could endanger them or Pumpkin. Like last time, Lapis thought.

Soon, Peridot came back out, holding a large red object that reminded Lapis of a surfboard. This board was a little different, with sides and a long string attached to the end. "Peridot, what is that?" Lapis asked. "From what Steven told me, it's a sled!" Peridot said excitedly. "We could use it as transportation across the snow, although Steven said it's much better at going down hills!" Lapis nodded her head in understanding, though she couldn't see the usefulness in the sled.

A few minutes later, Lapis, Peridot, and Pumpkin were seated on the sled, sitting on top of a hill. "Are you sure Steven said this worked on snow?" Lapis asked, turning to Peridot with a frown. "I am sure! I confirmed it with him before I left! Something must be wrong and we miscalculated!" Peridot said, frowning. The two gems sat in silence, desperately trying to think of what went wrong. Pumpkin, on the other hand, jumped out of the sled. She toddled behind the sled and began barking.

"What's wrong girl?" Lapis asked, turning towards Pumpkin. Pumpkin's mouth curved into what appeared to be a smile, before she hit against the back of the sled. That nudge caused the sled to begin moving, unfortunately for the two gems who weren't prepared. Peridot let out a screech of terror and Lapis gripped Peridot tightly as they rode down the hill. When they reached the bottom, the sled tipped sideways, sending both gems into the snow.

It was quiet for a few minutes, before someone let out a chuckle. Giggles soon turned into full blown laughter from both gems. Pumpkin had come running down the hill and excitedly hopped around as her moms laughed. "That was the most enjoyable form of entertainment I could have expected from a simple device like this!" Peridot remarked. "It was pretty fun. I guess all we needed was a push." Lapis giggled.

The two gems gathered their pet pumpkin into their arms, the family snuggling against each other. As they watched the sun go down, Lapis placed a kiss on Peridot's head. "We should really be getting back." Lapis smirked at Peridot. "Y-yes, of course!" Peridot stuttered, her face turning a bluish color as she blushed. Helping the green gem up and settling Pumpkin into her arms, Lapis walked back to the barn, Peridot's hand in her own.

I hope you guys enjoyed this! This is actually the first time I've wrote a Lapidot fanfiction. I have trouble writing stories because I just can't get the words out right! I'll come out with another one as soon as possible! :D