Chapter thirty-one

I quickly ran to the kitchen when the smell of the soup I was warming hit my nose. I took the pot of soup down from the cooker immediately I got to the kitchen and the hotness of the pot handle burned my fingers. I winced and quickly rushed towards the sink, turned on the tap and put my hands in the gushing water. The coldness of the water relieved the pain in my fingers a bit. When I took my hands away from the running water, I saw blisters on my fingers. The spot in my fingers where the blisters had formed was hurting badly. My mood instantly turned foul.

I opened the pot of soup with napkin this time around. As I stirred it, I noticed from the bottom that it had almost burned. A good thing I came into the kitchen soon before it did. I wasn't in the mood for another rounds of shouting and flogging.

"Daniella!" Aunt Caro shouted.

I frowned. "Why is this one calling me now?" I muttered.

"Daniella!" She called again.

"Ma!" I answered and as I was about walking out of the kitchen, aunt Caro walked in.

"Okay you're in the kitchen. Hope the soup didn't burn, this one I'm smelling burnt soup."

"No it didn't." I answered.

"Please prepare semo for me." Aunt Caro said and I found the please in her statement weird. Her statement were usually commanding and never polite. "Thank you." She said as she was walking out and then stopped like she forgot something. "That reminds me, mama called me yesterday and told me she really wanted to see you in the village. I asked her why, but she wasn't willing to tell me."

My face lit up as I heard that. It's been two days since I had told mama to tell aunt Caro that she and papa wanted to see me, so aunt Caro could release me from this prison called a house.

"Aw really! I've missed them o. I really want to see them too!" I said excitedly.

Aunt Caro rolled her eyes. "Em, but the thing is I can't go to the village, so... I don't know. Can you go by yourself?" She held her hands akimbo and poked her face forward as she asked.

"Ah I don't know o."

"How about if I took you to the station where you can get a bus going to owerri, would you be able to find your way to the village from there?"

"Err, yes I can try."

"You're not a baby anymore, so you should be able to do it." She said and I fought the urge to roll my eyes at her. "So get yourself ready today, you'd be traveling to the village very early tomorrow morning."

Hearing that, I wanted to jump and shout in happiness but I did well to control myself. I felt as happy as a lark. The same feeling I had when I was told that I was moving to the city. Ironic right?

When aunt Caro walked out of the kitchen, I squealed quietly and stamped my feet on the floor in utter excitement. So I was finally going to be leaving this prison to the village to see mama and papa again. Oh how I have missed them! But thinking of it, I was going to miss Peter and my other friends in the city so much. That was the only disadvantage that came with moving to the village. The only I repeat.

I walked into my room and took out my phone to chat with Peter, Adam and Gbemi. I informed them that I was going to be traveling to the village tomorrow. Afterwards, I started to arrange my clothes and fold them properly into my luggage. Doing that made me realize that aunt Caro hadn't bought any clothes for me since I moved into her house. The clothes I had were the ones I brought from the village.

Once done with everything that I had to do, I sat on my bed and went lost in thought. I thought of a lot of things. First was how I was going to travel all alone to the village. I know I was no longer a young girl. I could ask questions and all that, but for some reason, I was scared. What if I miss my way? I shook off the dreadful thought. I needed to be optimistic about this before I changed my mind about traveling to the village. I also thought of opening up to mama and papa on everything that I was going through in the city. They needed to know.